Bolt locking forward after firing - Savage 110 Storm 7mm Rem Mag

Yes with the right method. 7mm Mag left hand. My older 270 Remington 700 CDL (~2002 model) has the smoothest bolt I have ever worked. This 7mm mag Savage 110 Storm is a little more "nuanced". If you grab the bolt with your fingers and try to rack a round intentionally things don't go as smooth as you would expect. This bolt seems to like palm action. If you can work the entire cycle with just the palm of your hand it is acceptably smooth. I am hoping things improve with time and use.
I was asking about the rounds that had sticky cases after firing. Did they chamber normally?

I was asking about the rounds that had sticky cases after firing. Did they chamber normally?

Yes they would chamber normally before firing. Off the shelf Federal and Remington. They would chamber without issue. After firing the bolt would get progressively more sticky until it required a mallet to tap the bolt back to eject the case. Extreme cleaning of the chamber would remedy the issue for a couple of rounds and then it would go back to locking up. After polishing from the factory there was no issue at all with the sticky bolt after firing.

Idaho,
4831 is a decent powder for the 7mm Rem Mag. Light on recoil, good accuracy. I expect it's good in your 270 also.
I know my 280 Rem, and 284 Win like it!

When you wanna light the fires, with good accuracy, RL26 is a go to powder.
You will probably see a slight velocity increase with RL26 over H1000.

Also really makes 243 Win sing with 100gr and up bullet weight.
Not a one trick pony. Lol

Idaho,
4831 is a decent powder for the 7mm Rem Mag. Light on recoil, good accuracy. I expect it's good in your 270 also.
I know my 280 Rem, and 284 Win like it!

When you wanna light the fires, with good accuracy, RL26 is a go to powder.
You will probably see a slight velocity increase with RL26 over H1000.

Also really makes 243 Win sing with 100gr and up bullet weight.
Not a one trick pony. Lol

Just to clarify for the .243 are you suggesting H4831 or RL26? I assume RL26.

I had this same problem last year with a new Remington 700 BDL in 7 mm. Was using blue box Federal 150 gr to sight in. Rounds chambered fine. After first shot, bolt was sticky. Second shot couldn't eject and bolt came off of shell. Had to tap out brass with dowel and mallet. Marks on base of shell. Sent back to Remington. Had it fixed and back in about 2 weeks. Frustrating though since wasted trip and fee at the range, had to remove scope, and send it in. Then shot it after being fixed and before mounting scope again to make sure it worked right, then put scope back on. Works great now and shoots well.

I'm glad Savage took care of the issue for you. I had that happen to me once with mine, but the issue I had turned out to be the ammo I was using, it must've been a bad batch, because I bought another box of the same ammo and never had the issue repeat itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back