Boise Idaho - April Trip

MinnesotaAA

Hey HT friends! My wife and I are thinking of taking a trip to Boise, ID in late April for our anniversary. My aunt and uncle live in Payette ID so would be partly to visit them but also looking to do some hiking in the area around that part of the state.

We would be renting a vehicle and have been looking at places from Boise up to McCall and back around to Payette. Anyone have any suggestions on hikes for late April in that area? I'm assuming there will be snow still at the higher elevations so some hikes may be out of question. Coming from Minnesota we aren't against hiking in the snow but just know some of the limitations of it.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated as we have never been to Idaho and my aunt and uncle just moved there recently. Looking to explore some new areas and get out into the woods again. Thanks!

It could be buggy in April but coming from MN I guess you'd be familiar with that. Good luck. I was born thirty miles from Boise and still have family there. Last time I was in Boise was fourteen years ago for my grandmother's funeral. What a rat race! Very much like the Twin Cities except without all the water. I won't be going back.

It could be buggy in April but coming from MN I guess you'd be familiar with that. Good luck. I was born thirty miles from Boise and still have family there. Last time I was in Boise was fourteen years ago for my grandmother's funeral. What a rat race! Very much like the Twin Cities except without all the water. I won't be going back.
Thank-you for the glowing endorsement of our beautiful progressive city, renowned for trails and greenspace. You are no longer welcome in our fair urban Eden.
Uncordially yours, Bertram Q. Tourism, Boise Chamber of Commerce.

I fly in and out of Boise to hunt once or twice a year. If you're willing to drive just a little ways up into the mountains there are trails literally everywhere and imo Idaho is pretty tough to beat in terms of mountain beauty. I think you could pick a trail at random go hike and not be disappointed or that's my experience anyway.

Tagging in. I'm taking a similar trip first week of May for my nephew's graduation in Bozeman. Will be on the road with family from Australia. Planning on a few days in Idaho, as they have never been there.

Tagging in. I'm taking a similar trip first week of May for my nephew's graduation in Bozeman. Will be on the road with family from Australia. Planning on a few days in Idaho, as they have never been there.
If you are travelling to Boise from Bozeman, take them through Craters of the Moon, INEL, Arco route or over to Salmon then south. Some interesting Idaho sights to see.

The Peregrine Fund and International Falconry Archives are in Boise. Worth the stop.

I fly in and out of Boise to hunt once or twice a year. If you're willing to drive just a little ways up into the mountains there are trails literally everywhere and imo Idaho is pretty tough to beat in terms of mountain beauty. I think you could pick a trail at random go hike and not be disappointed or that's my experience anyway.
Yes, the mountains are not far and once you're out of the city and know the right places, there's lots of backcountry available. Getting in and out of that metropolis can be the challenge. I remember what Boise, Payette, Caldwell, etc were like when I was growing up and visited family there. I enjoyed the peaceful friendly atmosphere of small town agricultural communities. Boy, is that gone! And it keeps going at warp speed. Strip malls to the horizon. McCall seems quite busy (back in 1949 Mom and Dad met there at a pinball machine in a bar) but Riggins hadn't changed a lot when I was last through. That is some rugged spectacular country! Hiking around there should give you a workout.

Back