Boat Rental info around Fairbanks for 2016 Moose

Canoe Country

My brother (Outdoor Junkie) and me are planning a 2016 moose hunt. We do everything DIY and want to keep this trend for the Alaska moose hunt. I have done a lot of research and we are planning on flying into Fairbanks, renting a truck (Chevy Colorado is the only truck I can find at any rental place around Fairbanks) and looking to rent a boat. I have found a couple places that rent canoes and rafts but I am looking for a 16' flat bottom Jet boat (the motor that extends behind the boat for going through shallow water). Our plan is to launch about 2 hours from Fairbanks, boat about 20 miles in on a river, and camp.

The only place I can find that rents boats like this is the military base right outside of Fairbanks but this is only for Military or former military with a DOD ID card. I was in the Marine Corps but the only people that qualify for a DOD ID card are those who were injured while in the military or those who retired after 20 plus years. They said my military experience qualified me but I needed a DOD ID, I asked if they would take a drivers license and my DD214 and I am out of luck.

I am looking to use one for about 8 days and would be open to spending about $1,000 to do so.

If I can figure this out we have our costs down to $3,500 per person flying from Minneapolis which is well below the $5,000 to $5,500 I hear for a mostly DIY moose hunt.

Any ideas or thoughts are welcome.

I don't know of any place that rents flat bottom boats and motors, just rafts (and motors). I suggest you post an inquiry on the Alaska Outdoors Forum. Lots of local Fairbanks residents on that forum who can either point you in the right direction or may consider renting you their boat.

Good luck,

Jeff

Yep, probably will need to rent from a private party. Could get flaky. Alaska is a long way to go and find you do not have a key item you need. Good luck.

If you plan to run the Chena River you are in for a real treat. I would think real hard about the last post. 3500.00 is a lot of money to go to find out you don't have a boat that fits your needs. spend the extra money and fly in and float out with Pristine Ventures. I have rented form them twice we harvested everything we set out to get, Bous, moose and a grizzly Bear. Alaska is not the place to go cheap. But hey that's my 2 cents

What did Pristine Ventures run you per person. That's not the river we were looking at but I am always open to different advice and options.

Larry at Pristine Ventures charges around $75 - $125 / day for a raft rental, depending on the type of raft you rent. He runs a top notch equipment rental business, just google Pristine Ventures to read more.

Blue Moose Rafting in North Pole, he is super flexible and is super reasonable on prices. I have rented from him for 3 years now. He will tell you everything you need to know about your destination. He will help you with logistics and has a trailer you can rent as well. He also has coolers, dry bags and a ton of other gear if you do not want to buy or haul all of that stuff up to AK. Moose is an awesome guy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back