PEAX Equipment

Boat Advice,help.

engman99

I am thinking about buying a boat.I found one I like.Aluminum hull,Starcraft,17 feet long,1998,90 horse Mercruiser,front and back fish finders,two livewells,foot controlled trolling moter(60 lb thrust),lots of storage.This boat has a lot more extras that I dont remember.It only has about 20 hrs on it.They are asking $10,300.Do you all think this is a good deal?

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

engman99 it's hard to say without close inspection of the boat and what was the 98 retail price.

Is a deep v with high sides or more or less a bass boat?

Take a look in your BPS mag and look at the Trackers boats,you can a new boat with same features(except to fish finders) for $11,000.Tracker makes a darn good boat.There is no wood to rot in the decks or seating,something to look at in the StarCraf.

Go to www.kellybluebook.com and get a book value before you buy.Hours mean nothing unless it has an hour counter on the motor.Plus since they don't go by miles or hours with boats in all in the age.

The boat looks brand new.I think its called a modified -v.No sides at all,strickly fishing boat.The boat was around 17k new.Blue booked about 11,500.What do you think?

[This message has been edited by engman99 (edited 01-27-2001).]

engman99;
shanfla06 has some good points. just remember one thing thats alot of money, so check it out %100, If its something you want and its worth it to you then buy it.
With that being said here is some other things to look for.
loose rivets(there easy to fix)
dent's in the hull
take it out and make sure the trolling motor runs all day on the batteries. if it doesn't it needs new batteries @about $100 a piece
then do a compression check on the motor. (this is very critacle) Boats are cheap motors cost an arm and a leg.

also remember one thing when people buy a new boat most finance them. and they owe alot in finance charge's.For that kinda money you can get a new one at most place's and not worry about the hassles of buying used.

also down here in a AZ you can get A nice fiberglass boat with a 150hp motor and all the toys. might be 2-5 years old also
check out www.traderonline.com that will give you an idea of what used boats are going for.

If you do buy this boat,befor you take it in the water change the water pump.Its very easy and the cost is under 40 bucks. I recomend you change that water pump every year, if you use it 10 times or less a year change it every 6 months. If that water pump goes out your motor could be toast in less than 2 mins.

Delw

engman99 I looked at those boats on there site.They look like nice boats and well made.To me though that is alot of $$$$ for used Aluminum boat.Also you think about warranty,is there one left on the boat,where is the nearest dealer is the trailer in good shape.Most painted trailers will only last three years down here(salt water fishing tears them up)

You can get a new Fiberglass loaded bass boat 17ft with a 90 or 115 for 11,500-14,500.

I would say look around for a day or so if you can at new boats and compare your options.But if you like it,can afford it and are comfy with any problems that might pop up from a used boat go for it.

Then do like DELW said,CHANGE THE WATER PUMP.It will save the motor in the long run.

Lets us know what you do.

The price seems a little high.

Starcrafts are a good boat but nowheres near top-of-the-line. You can buy one new like that for around 13k. If the guys is telling you he paid 17,500 for it he's full of crap.

I'd offer $8,500 and don't budge.

Some good deals can be found on used boats, but if you're gonna spend 10k+ I think you'd be better-off to spend a little more and buy new. That way you'll be getting exactly what you want and you'll have the warranty.

The life of an outboard can be drastically reduced if it isn't broken-in correctly for the first 20 hours of operation.

------------------
indian.gif

VEGETARIAN: Indian word meaning 'Bad Hunter'

the motor is the key to its value!!!
all information givin above is excellent deffinetly find out about its break-in if possible and like del said change water pump fist thing! impellers are cheap! the only other thing i do, is to drop the foot and check it out thoroughly! being a 98 it should be o.k. if no visible damage to foot! it only takes a few minutes!

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

Thanks for the advice guys.After what you guys said,and some other people said that I know locally,I have decided not to buy the boat.I think majority rules.The majority says it is overpriced.

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

You've gotten some good advice here.

If at all possible it's always best to avoid buying a used boat......

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back