blind set up lead time?

T Bone

I picked up a blind last week and want to give it a try for antelope which opens on the 15th.

How far ahead of time do you guys set up the blinds?

I'll be hunting on public land and I'm a bit leary of leaving it set up unattended for days.

10 days before the season

Just put 4 T posts in the ground and wrap fabric around the T post. This will get the goats use to seeing something there every time they water. When you are ready to hunt just take down the fabric and throw up your blind. It works great and other hunters cant hunt your blind because there is no roof and its not tall enough to shoot out of. ID is a frist come frist serve on water holes so be early !! and stay late Good Luck

Just before I crawl in it. I usually hunt multiple days in a row and will leave my blind up until I leave. I have never had a problem setting it up the morning of.

Thanks guys.

Muley Crazy, I'm located in western South Dakota. Lot's of antelope and very little to no pressure during archery season.

T Bone must be nice !! iIts a rat race here in the south west ID I quit hunting a water hole that I have taken 2 P&Y bucks off because last year there was 5 blinds on the water hole by 6 am 10 days before the season ( here in ID we cant set out our blinds any sooner then that ) I found 2 water holes in the middle of no were last year and today by 5 am they both had blinds on them, so back to the drawing board !

Last edited:
Tyson, I think the longer you can have it set up, the better. Last year I set mine up a few days before season and left it out for a couple weeks. I was pretty nervous about it getting up and walking away, but luckily that didn't happen. The year before I set it up on a Friday afternoons and took it down Sundays when I left. The year before that, I set up the blind in the dark on a Friday and killed a buck the next morning. My point? The longer lopes are able to acclimate to the blind the better, but popping up the blind and killing one the same day is very possible.

Good luck and take a book.

Just got back from the preseason scouting trip. There is water everywhere. I've never seen it so green out there. There are ducks and geese where there are normally dried grass and prickly pear cactus. Saw lot's of nice bucks but no real big ones.

With so much water in so many places, I threw the water hole plan out the window. It's going to be spot and stalk and/or decoying.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back