Black Hills South Dakota archey buck.

bowhunr

I go to South Dakota every year to archery hunt with my Dad. It’s more of a hang out with Dad trip but I do usually get my deer as does he. I treasure every minute of it. He is in his mid 70's and still huntin, I sure hope I am too!

We have hunted the same area for over 20 years so we know it pretty well. It is in the Black Hills and all public land. We don't see near as many deer as we used too and I am not quite sure why. We now see more elk than we do deer, possibly there’s a connection.
It was a quick hunt this year. The weather was hot, mid 70's during the day. The first morning I still hunted an area that I usually see bucks in and sure enough I saw one that I decided would be my target for the week. I sat back and watched him and made a plan for future mornings and tried to figure out where he might be watering. He was the only deer I saw that morning but I did see a rag horn bull that I played with for a little while with some cow calls.

I went by a tank that I thought he might be using before heading back to camp and sure enough there was plenty of sign around it. I had taken bucks off this tank in the past so I decided this would be my evening hunt spot. I made a ground blind with the natural brush around. I prefer ground blinds as I think it adds a little extra challenge over a tree stand but that’s just me. Besides I tend to doze off sometimes and that’s not good up in a tree!

That evening I got to the tank a little later than I wanted and sure enough there were four does on it when I got there. I waited for them to drink and move off before I headed into my blind. In the first hour I had two other does come in and I took a couple of pictures. After a short dry spell in the deer action and a few head bobs (good thing I was on the ground) I heard some deer coming in from behind and to the left. I peered through the brush I had behind me and saw two bucks coming in. Both were four points and I decided the first one was good enough to be a shooter. They were coming in on a string so I came to draw well before they got to the tank. The first one steps out at 25 yards, this is going to be easy I thought, and stops. Suddenly his head comes up and ears were forward. He spun around, still broadside but nervous, I released the arrow and... dropped my arm. CRAP how did I miss!! I put the bino's on him and sure enough it was a clean miss. The bucks were spooked a little but not much, pretty much wondering what had just happened. I put the bino's on the second buck I couldn't believe it, he was way bigger! Much wider and definitely heavier. As I was trying to figure out how I had mis-judged I saw the other buck. Three had actually come in and I thought it was only two. I watched them for 45 minutes behind me and was pretty sure I was going to get a second chance. They were nervous, even came in to about 50 yards and blew at me a little but they had never seen or smelled me. I knew I just needed to be patient. Another small 4 point buck came in for a drink but I let him pass hoping for an opportunity on the bigger one. After he came in the others started to settle down and ease their way toward the tank. Since I had been busy watching them I hadn't looked toward the pond for a while. When I turned around there was another nice 5 point just coming in to water. This was a nice deer and I was torn as to shoot him or not. I thought the 4 point may be a little better buck so I waited and watched. He drank for a long time and was facing directly at me. I kept looking at him and looking at the 4 point trying to decide what to do. When he finished drinking he turned broadside and was at 18 yards looking at the other bucks. It was too good of an opportunity to pass up… The others may have come in but would have been very nervous and certainly more eyes to bust me.

I came to draw and released the arrow, no arm drop this time. The buck dropped on the spot and rolled over backwards into the tank. I knew it was a good shot but I always tell myself if you have a chance to get a second arrow in a deer or elk, DO IT! I grabbed another arrow and put a second good shot in him. It was only a minute or so before he expired. Fortunately for me he had just enough in him to swim to the shores edge. I thought for a minute I was going to have to go for a swim.

It was definitely an exciting evening hunt with 5 bucks coming into the tank. When it was over I actually think overall this buck was probably better than the 4 point. He certainly was prettier. It ended up being a short hunt but made for more time to hang out with Dad

The pics below are of the tank I shot him at. It has a spring and always has water in it. I have shot other bucks here also. It is a killer spot in the warm weather. My ground blind is next to the big aspen on the left. Also a doe drinking shortly before the first two bucks came in (actually three and I didn't know it). This is the same spot the buck I shot was drinking from. And the last one is my buck, pleased with this one. He is decent for a Black Hills buck. Doing a european mount.

Andrew

Attachments

• The tank.jpg
    The tank.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Doe drinking.jpg
    Doe drinking.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Andrew 2010 buck.jpg
    Andrew 2010 buck.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 505

Latest posts