Black Hills Natl Forest South Dakota PUBLIC LAND Merriams. Need some help :)

PrestonMcDan

Hey guys, Im planning a public land South Dakota turkey trip for next year. Can anybody give me some general location tips as in towns and communities to be around in the Black Hills National Forest ?

Hey guys, Im planning a public land South Dakota turkey trip for next year. Can anybody give me some general location tips as in towns and communities to be around in the Black Hills National Forest ?
Welcome aboard. The Hills are nearly 80% public land so you really can't go wrong. I would recommend a scouting trip.

Also Im planning on going around early to mid May. From what ive read and heard thats a good time depending on the weather.
Welcome aboard. The Hills are nearly 80% public land so you really can't go wrong. I would recommend a scouting trip.
Thanks and would love to do that but i live in MS so im gonna just take a week off to drive up and hunt;)

The southern hills, Custer area, with plenty of NF west of town should be good for you. likely better in May as flocks break up from winter "residences
" and head more up in hills.

I live in the Black Hills. Numbers have not been great the last few years out here. But there are birds to be had if you work for them. I do most of my hunting around the wider Hill City area. The South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks has a helpful map tool which allows you to clearly see private and public land boundaries. It is great for scouting. They also have some other maps for download which are compatible with certain GPS devices. It is worth checking out if you haven't.

(click on "Public Hunting Atlas")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back