Black Bear. What's your caliber

KyHunter98

Just curious to see what rifle you seasoned black bear hunters are taking to the field this spring.
For me, 300 WSM, i've yet to decide on a bullet but will gladly take suggestions.

.308 with a 170 grain Accubond (that is unless I have my bow in hand). Unless you plan to plow it through a front shoulder whatever you use for deer and elk should be fine.

Hoping to have my 35 Whelen back from the gunsmith by then and get some loads worked up.
If not it will .30-06 with 180 Grand Slams or TBBC

Open country: Savage Weather Warrior 300WM - Federal Premium Trophy Copper 165g; Oregon coast: Rem Mod 600 350Rem Mag - Remington 200g Corlokts; hound hunt (once) Ruger Superblackhawk 44Mag 225g Cor@Bon DPX. All died about the same....

I'm at the stage where I'd rather just see bears than hunt them, however the two black bears that I did hunt were on DIY solo spot and stalk hunts, one with a 220 grain cast bullet from my 1911 .45 acp and the other with a 250 grain cast bullet from my Ruger SBH .44 mag.

But, depending on what happens with this China flu, I'm considering a Yukon grizzly hunt where I would be hunting with my .300 Weatherby and 180 grain Barnes TTSX handloads.

I'm curious.... what do you mean you haven't decided on a bullet yet? Unless you have a decent reloading selection or a plethora of bullets to try you might want to get on it. I'm seeing lots of companies that won't even backorder things anymore, and some have 6 to 9 months waiting.

This year I'll be carrying a 6/250 maybe a 6.5C some days, my boy a .243. Mostly will be packing coffee, a piece of foam, and lots of glass to enjoy watching them.

Hoping to bring the 270 if I get it all done up in time. Prob just bring the 300 RUM

I'm curious.... what do you mean you haven't decided on a bullet yet? Unless you have a decent reloading selection or a plethora of bullets to try you might want to get on it. I'm seeing lots of companies that won't even backorder things anymore, and some have 6 to 9 months waiting.
I've got a couple bullets stocked up. I've just yet to find the time to load up a variety and see what my gun is shooting best.

.280 Rem with a 160 gr partition. Thats what i like. But i've killed many bears with many calibers so maybe i can't pick just one.........

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back