Black bear recipes

How about burgers with straight ground bear. Large toasted kaiser bun, provolone cheese, and dill pickle. Best burger I’ve ever had.

I try and make the patties with a larger diameter and fairly thin to ensure they are thoroughly cooked and I don’t have to cook them forever to get them done.

My second choice would be a roast with some red potatoes, carrots, onion, and diced celery.
Do you not cut your burger with any beef or pork fat?

Do you not cut your burger with any beef or pork fat?
No beef or pork added. It is extremely lean and the flavor is great.

Tried it the first time without cutting as I figured we could always go back and add something later if need be. After several bears this way I’ve never felt there was anything to be gained by adding beef or pork. I think it’s worth a try. FWIW, I also don’t add anything to deer either, so maybe it’s just me and my family . . .

Cut a chunk of loin, put it in a baking dish, add an envelope of onion soup mix, a bit of ground dried rosemary, a can of Campbells Cream of Mushroom (I know. Pedants stand down, please.) and a splash of red wine and put it in a 350 degree oven to an internal temp of 145 (30-45 minutes or so, but always cook bear by temperature, not time). Slice some meat, put a lot of the gravy on a baked tater, and dig in. Leftovers make phenomenal sandwiches on rye with a thin slice of Gouda.

Here are some Bear roasts that went into the brine for corned bear. Also going to make a batch of smoked pepperoni with some of the trim meat. Will update the results next weekend.IMG_20200627_182612.jpg

Here are some Bear roasts that went into the brine for corned bear. Also going to make a batch of smoked pepperoni with some of the trim meat. Will update the results next weekend.View attachment 145046

I always wanted to do a corned critter. Always seemed intimidating to me and takes a good portion of meat if it gets messed up or I don't like it. Guess I just need to do it and stop overthinking it. :)

Corned anything is awesome. If you mess it up, spread mustard and seasonings over it all and smoke it and call it pastrami. I started out with little 2 pound roasts and got better over time. The big thing to remember is soaking the salt out of it after the brine.

My favorite is chicken fried steak with backstrap and dutch oven shoulder roast. I just used the Rinella recipe book for the shoulder blade roast, turned out great.

Happy 4th everyone, as promised here are the results of my first corned Bear. First pic is out of the brine ready for the smoker. Smoked for 3 hours and in the oven at 200 for 5 1/2 hrs. Wrapped it in butcher paper overnight in the cooler. Just got done with some corned bear and eggs.IMG_20200703_055120.jpgIMG_20200704_084517.jpgIMG_20200704_085244.jpg

Back