Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bivy vs. Ultralight Tent?

Okay, getting this done.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 is on order. Got it on sale for $296, was a sucker and bought the footprint on sale for $48 while I was at it. I know a piece of TyVek would work, but oh well, this is nice and easy. 2lbs 10oz for the tent, 5 oz for the footprint puts it 1oz short of 3lbs.

Bought that Stoic 15 degree down bag too. With the 850+ down fill and the 2lbs 2oz for the long size, it was just too much cheaper than anything close to that weight and it had decent reviews so I went ahead and bought it. $221.

My KLYMIT sleeping pad should get here from Camofire about the same time. It weighs 15 oz.

All together they are supposed to weigh in exactly at 6 lbs including the footprint for the tent.

I'm trying to talk myself out of just going ahead and ordering a Stone Glacier Solo backpack while I'm at it. Seems crazy to be worried about weight when I know my pack weighs 7lbs empty.

Thanks for the input everyone! Nathan

The KLYMIT Inertia XL oversized pad. Looking at another site it looks like it is 17.6 oz instead of 15 oz so there goes my 6 lbs even number!

I'm curious to hear what you think about it after you have been able to take it around the block a few times.
I've read a bunch of reviews and it sounds like people either Love it or Hate it,Not a lot of middle ground.

It's an interesting piece of gear.
I'm not sure it would work for me I flop like a fish when I sleep.

A solid reason for a tent is being forced by weather to use a stove. If you have to melt snow and the wind is howling a bivy sucks. Hard rain, wind and only freeze-dried food is rough after a hard day when coming home to a tarp. I hate bugs, spent 27 months sleeping on the ground in the jungle. A good tent is worth its' weight in gold.

Mike R.

npaden a few questions?

Why are looking at a 2 person tent? Are 2 adults sleeping in them? If not, by a solo tent with a vestibule.

Do you just want a shelter for warmer weather or a shelter that can be used in the summer months of NM flats to above the treeline?

I can provide a better list of suggestions from my experiences with this information.

My "go to" shelter is my Hilleberg Soulo. It can handle nearly all weather conditions in the lower 48 and even the Canadian Rockies! It solid, easy to setup and plenty of room for me all of my gear, bow and pack for a 10 day backcountry hunt. Keeping all of that and myself out of the weather, should the weather turn bad.

I always recommend a footprint, as it is added insurance to protecting your shelter. You can even use it as a tarp if you needed to for any reason. And on the Soulo, you can keep it connected to the shelter at all times, so it is already installed when you pitch your shelter. That is what I do.

In the meantime, I have listed my recommendations on both solo and 2 person shelters:

Hilleberg ANJAN 2 - $570
Minimum Weight: 1.5 kg/3 lbs 5 oz
Packed Weight: 1.7 kg/3 lbs 12 oz
Inner Height: 100 cm/40 in
Inner Tent Area: 2.8 m2/30.1 ft2
Vestibule Area: 14 ft2

Hilleberg ANJAN 2 GT - $655
Minimum Weight: 1.9 kg/4 lbs 3 oz
Packed Weight: 2.1 kg/4 lbs 10 oz
Vestibule Area: 26 ft2

Exped Mira II - $379
Two vestibules, two doors
Capacity: 2
Floor space: 220 x 125 cm / 86.6 x 49.2"
Height inside: 110 cm / 43.3"
Canopy area: 2.75 m² / 29.6 sq ft
Vestibule area: 1.3 m² / 14 sq ft
Packed Weight: 2 kg / 4.4 lbs
Minimal Weight: 1.8 kg / 3.9 lbs

Solo Shelters with vestibules:
Hilleberg Soulo - free standing and my preferred shelter for all seasons! = $598
Minimum Wt: 1.7 kg/3lbs 12oz
Packed Wt: 2.2 kg/4lbs 13oz
Inner Height: 95cm/38 in
Inner Tent Area: 2.0m sq /21.5' sq
Vestibule: Area: .7m sq / 7.6' sq
Poles: 9mm
Pegs: 12 V-Pegs

Hilleberg Akto - must be staked out = $465
Minimum Wt: 1.3 kg/ 2lbs 13oz
Packed Wt: 1.6 kg/ 3lbs 8oz
Inner Height: 90cm/ 36 in
Inner Tent Area: 1.7m sq / 18.3' sq
Vestibule: Area: .8m sq / 8.6' sq
Pegs: 10 V-Pegs

Exped Mira I - Free standing = $329
Floor space: 86.6 x 27.5"
Height inside: 41.3"
Canopy area: 16.6 sq ft
Vestibule area: 7.5 sq ft
Packed Weight: 3.3 lbs
Minimal Weight: 2.9 lbs
Packed size: 16.5 x 4.7"

* Packed = All inclusive weight without packaging
** Minimal weight = Rainfly, canopy, poles

Last edited:
npaden a few questions?

Why are looking at a 2 person tent? Are 2 adults sleeping in them? If not, by a solo tent with a vestibule.

Do you just want a shelter for warmer weather or a shelter that can be used in the summer months of NM flats to above the treeline?

I can provide a better list of suggestions from my experiences with this information.

My "go to" shelter is my Hilleberg Soulo. It can handle nearly all weather conditions in the lower 48 and even the Canadian Rockies! It solid, easy to setup and plenty of room for me all of my gear, bow and pack for a 10 day backcountry hunt. Keeping all of that and myself out of the weather, should the weather turn bad.

I always recommend a footprint, as it is added insurance to protecting your shelter. You can even use it as a tarp if you needed to for any reason. And on the Soulo, you can keep it connected to the shelter at all times, so it is already installed when you pitch your shelter. That is what I do.

In the meantime, I have listed my recommendations on both solo and 2 person shelters:

Hilleberg ANJAN 2 - $570
Minimum Weight: 1.5 kg/3 lbs 5 oz
Packed Weight: 1.7 kg/3 lbs 12 oz
Vestibule Area: 14 ft2

Hilleberg ANJAN 2 GT - $655
Minimum Weight: 1.9 kg/4 lbs 3 oz
Packed Weight: 2.1 kg/4 lbs 10 oz
Vestibule Area: 26 ft2

Exped Mira II - $379
Two vestibules, two doors
Capacity: 2
Floor space: 220 x 125 cm / 86.6 x 49.2"
Height inside: 110 cm / 43.3"
Canopy area: 2.75 m² / 29.6 sq ft
Vestibule area: 1.3 m² / 14 sq ft
Packed Weight: 2 kg / 4.4 lbs
Minimal Weight: 1.8 kg / 3.9 lbs

Solo Shelters with vestibules:
Hilleberg Soulo - free standing and my preferred shelter for all seasons! = $598
Minimum Wt: 1.7 kg/3lbs 12oz
Packed Wt: 2.2 kg/4lbs 13oz
Inner Height: 95cm/38 in
Inner Tent Area: 2.0m sq /21.5' sq
Vestibule: Area: .7m sq / 7.6' sq
Pegs: 12 V-Pegs

Hilleberg Akto - must be staked out = $465
Minimum Wt: 1.3 kg/ 2lbs 13oz
Packed Wt: 1.6 kg/ 3lbs 8oz
Inner Height: 90cm/ 36 in
Inner Tent Area: 1.7m sq / 18.3' sq
Vestibule: Area: .8m sq / 8.6' sq
Pegs: 10 V-Pegs

Exped Mira I - Free standing = $329
Floor space: 86.6 x 27.5"
Height inside: 41.3"
Canopy area: 16.6 sq ft
Vestibule area: 7.5 sq ft
Packed Weight: 3.3 lbs
Minimal Weight: 2.9 lbs
Packed size: 16.5 x 4.7"

* Packed = All inclusive weight without packaging
** Minimal weight = Rainfly, canopy, poles

I respect your opinion, and I've talked to a few sheep guides and outfitters who use the Soulo pretty much exclusively, but they are mostly guiding late season in AK or more so in Persia in sub 0F and extreme conditions. For a vast majority of hunters in the US there is no way that beefy of a tent is necessary, even if you hunt clear through the winter. I've been researching tents for quite a while and just can't make up my mind but the Soulo is no where close. WindedBowhunter, did the Soulo drop a pound recently that I don't know about( I mean this sincerely, not trying to be a smartass). I've never seen it listed with a packed weight under 5 lbs, and IMO 5 lbs is insane for a backpacking tent in the lower 48. I understand it has its uses but I don't think this is it. Hunts for Marco Polo in Tajik at 16k feet maybe.... I'd rather spend 5 pounds on a Nallo 2, or even an Anjan3 GT. Heck 2 Rajd's would be more worth it. I just started with the Rajd, and don't have extended experience with it but I think its gonna end up towards the top of my list. Thanks for bringing up the Exped, I've never check that out.

If you wanna get crazy Nathan, check out Hyperlite Mountain Gear's Cuben Fiber stuff. I've been trying to talk myself into it, but just can't. I figure once you beat 2lbs for a tent, after that your just splitting hairs, and I find myself thinking comfort is starting to outweigh ounces slowly but surely. The Rajd is a castle for one man.

CabinFever The Soulo is bomber for sure, but I prefer the extra security in case of snow, hail and heavy winds which is what this shelter is designed for. And would be overkill for someone who say hunts only in very arid and less windy conditions.

On the weight (no offense taken) as this question is brought up a lot with European tent manufacturers, I will tell you that some of Hilleberg and other tents can fluctuate 4-6oz or so. This has to do primarily with the (manufacturing term, not "a lot") lot of the fabric that is being utilized. Having said that, I grabbed one off the shelf from our store's warehouse this am and set it on the scale. It weighs 5lbs 4.3oz, this is with the tags on it, the owner manual inside and all parts needed for the shelter. The only thing I did was open the box and set the complete package on the scale.

Here is a pic from this am:
IMG_3716_1.jpg

You are onto something with the Nallo and Anjan as they are truly expedition shelters.

Another ultra-lite solution could be the Seek Outside Lil Bug Out or Backcountry Shelters. While I have not used one yet, I have talked to a few guys that have. They seemed to be pleased with them. But, definitely intrigued by them for early season hunts or hiking the A.T.

Backcountry Shelter
Front to back 12′
Rear 8′
Center 9’8″
Height 6’9″
~105 sq feet
Weighs: 3 lbs 7 ounces all inclusive

Lil’ Bug Out - Offered in a few different configurations
Bug Out Base plus Vestibule (56 Sq Feet , 64″ tall, Canopy 24 ounces, 2 entrances)
Bug Out Base + 3 Piece Vestibule (74 Sq Feet, 64″ Tall, Canopy 26 ounces, 2 entrances)
Bug Out Base + Bug Out Base (86 sq feet , 64″ tall, Canopy 32 ounces, 2 entrances)
Bug Out Base + Tarp Connector + Bug Out Base (130 sq feet, 64″ tall, Canopy 48 ounces, 4 entrances)

Those Hyperlite's are CRAZY! Less than 2lbs!!! They look like tarps with vestibules! Very interesting, like you, I am not sure I could sleep like that, but never say never! :) Thanks for sharing them, as I had never heard of them.

Last edited:
There are a few companies now making tarp tents with Cuben Fiber. I've never put my hands on it, but I'd like to see what it feels like. I'm picturing something like Tyvek.

Back