Bitterroot Mule Deer 261/270

cmartynn

Hi everyone! Hope the draw was in your favor this year!

I certainly felt lucky when I saw I pulled a 261 muley tag with only 6 points! I live in Missoula and work in Ravalli county so I’ll have plenty of time to scout and explore the unit!

I know 261/270 are often considered Montana’s best mule deer units. I’m curious what the general consensus is on unit 261. Is a 180”+ public buck possible?

If any one has experience hunting unit 261 or has pictures of bucks from the area they are willing to share I would greatly appreciate the info. Not looking for spots or specifics I’m happy to figure that out on my own.

Super excited about the tag and will be sure to post pictures from scouting and the hunt.

giphy.gif

Dude what a draw - looking at gohunt you had less than 1% odds??? Should be a great hunt, buddy of mine shot a really nice buck in there on public a few years ago. The biggest bucks down there are usually killed on private, but with effort you can find mature bucks cruising the public land in November.

Dude what a draw - looking at gohunt you had less than 1% odds??? Should be a great hunt, buddy of mine shot a really nice buck in there on public a few years ago. The biggest bucks down there are usually killed on private, but with effort you can find mature bucks cruising the public land in November.
Yeah when I looked up my draw results I had to to triple check because I thought there was a mistake haha. Do you have a picture of the buck your buddy shot on public? Did he shoot it in November? I'm a little nervous about access back into the mountains in late November if we get heavy snow. Id like to hunt around Gird point and skalkaho mtn, or at least that's what looks good looking at the map.

These units aren’t exactly a secret. All you’d have to do is look at the draw odds. What’s worse is people posting about general units.

Maybe you missed the post above the one you replied to.

Yeah when I looked up my draw results I had to to triple check because I thought there was a mistake haha. Do you have a picture of the buck your buddy shot on public? Did he shoot it in November? I'm a little nervous about access back into the mountains in late November if we get heavy snow. Id like to hunt around Gird point and skalkaho mtn, or at least that's what looks good looking at the map.
I have a photo but it's not mine to share, and the info I provided is as specific as I'll be. The best way to address access nerves is scouting my friend! Learn the unit well, put boots on the ground all summer and fall, do the tag justice.

That will be an exciting hunt!!! Good luck!
I am a nonresident and I will be hunting unit 270. From what I understand, it is like winning the lottery. The odds are very small to draw this tag and some years no tags are offer to nonresidents. I feel very fortunate but I need some help. Does anyone know a good outfitter or guide for the area? Anyone you would recommend?

I am a nonresident and I will be hunting unit 270. From what I understand, it is like winning the lottery. The odds are very small to draw this tag and some years no tags are offer to nonresidents. I feel very fortunate but I need some help. Does anyone know a good outfitter or guide for the area? Anyone you would recommend?
There is a few outfitters you can find with just a google search, but they are pricey and looks like private ranch hunting. I’m local so I’ll have time to scout and figure it out. depending on how much time you have I think you’ll have no problem killing a 160-180 deer in 270 on public if you put in a little time

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back