bird dogs,,,,,,,,

Here’s my two old guys. They can’t handle long hunts anymore. Currently in the research stages of my new bird dog. We are leaning towards a Brittany just for the size of them for traveling with us although I’m partial to the “ugly dogs” like the griffons and wire hairs
View attachment 197558
I cannot recommend enough. https://montanagundogs.com/
My wife swore she's never let us get another bird dog after our current shorthair died. But just last week she posted on FB (for our new pup's birthday), "Exactly one year ago today, we brought this little cutie home, 40 pounds later and he turned out to be the best dog!"

We're both pretty picky dog owners, but he's an absolutely killer dog, super chill when we needs to be, lovey, helluvan athlete, can go and go, but doesn't range too far. I hunted him all last fall as a pup and didn't have to say a dozen words to him all season, he just got it.

My wife swore she's never let us get another bird dog after our current shorthair died. But just last week she posted on FB (for our new pup's birthday), "Exactly one year ago today, we brought this little cutie home, 40 pounds later and he turned out to be the best dog!"

We're both pretty picky dog owners, but he's an absolutely killer dog, super chill when we needs to be, lovey, helluvan athlete, can go and go, but doesn't range too far. I hunted him all last fall as a pup and didn't have to say a dozen words to him all season, he just got it.
It's been my experience that pups change a lot from that first season to the next. When they are small they're usually still quite clingy but after they grow up (like taller than the grass) they become more "independant." Better work him a bit during the summer.

It's been my experience that pups change a lot from that first season to the next. When they are small they're usually still quite clingy but after they grow up (like taller than the grass) they become more "independant." Better work him a bit during the summer.
No one asked you.

I live with the dog, workout with him everyday. I damn sure know what his strength and weaknesses are, I know how he's changing, and what I need to work on. I certainly know all of that better than some Canadian that's never met my dog.

Just
No one asked you.

I live with the dog, workout with him everyday. I damn sure know what his strength and weaknesses are, I know how he's changing, and what I need to work on. I certainly know all of that better than some Canadian that's never met my dog.
Just offering a helpful suggestion based on a lot of experience. Sorry. I'm sure you do know it all. FYI I' also a disabled American veteran raised in Montana and now on my sixth and seventh hunting dogs. I spend at least two months every year hunting birds just about every day of the week.16567020691856655521610014049769.jpg

She’s still in training but we’re getting there! She’s now 18 months.

Attachments

• 15F8E67E-ECE4-4368-A817-5E71FCA61DEF.jpeg
    15F8E67E-ECE4-4368-A817-5E71FCA61DEF.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 49B8A6C7-738C-4EB0-B2FE-1EB52E71D3F0.jpeg
    49B8A6C7-738C-4EB0-B2FE-1EB52E71D3F0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Don’t do this to me
Vom Makoshika is not that far from you. I haven’t done a deep dive into the lineages they use. Also Grizzly Creek Drahthaars are in North Dakota. I’d buy a dog from her any day.

Glad it’s working out for you. I was impressed with them in my couple of phone conversations, and from what I’ve seen of their dogs.

Did you force fetch?

Glad it’s working out for you. I was impressed with them in my couple of phone conversations, and from what I’ve seen of their dogs.

Did you force fetch?
no, not yet. And every night I say I'll start tomorrow. As soon as I make the time to figure out how to start.

We've had a couple of friends also get dogs from Dave and they've all turned out to be great dogs, though ours is the best, though if I'm honest, the other two are both better looking. I'll probably swing through Kalispell later this month and may stop by for a visit.

no, not yet. And every night I say I'll start tomorrow. As soon as I make the time to figure out how to start.
Smart Fetch by Evan Graham is a fantastic resource. Good videos on YouTube as well. Start now with cleaning up obedience and teaching the “hold” command.

I’ll finally be able to walk out my backdoor and work a dog in some great cover once we get moved here in next couple months. Hopefully by this time next year I’ll be working with a new bird dog
that is what makes a dog, i can walk out the pasture and state or block every direction,
most days a hefty bag of various species can be had with no gas involved,

all my dogs get bird contacts almost daily at least 6 months pf the year, another litter coming this year late😃

that is what makes a dog, i can walk out the pasture and state or block every direction,
most days a hefty bag of various species can be had with no gas involved,

all my dogs get bird contacts almost daily at least 6 months pf the year, another litter coming this year late😃

Huns and pheasants out the backdoor and lots of grouse just down the road

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back