Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bird Dog Affordable Options?

My lab cost me $700 with papers and health clearances. Not from any serious hunting lines(much like her owner), but she's been a good dog and hunts well. I have shelled out a lot of cash at the vet, but I can't say that wouldn't have happened if I spent $1500.

What's your budget and what do you plan on hunting primarily?

I hunted for years with a border collie mutt I found abandoned by sheep herders. He's hunted and retrieved ducks, pheasant, quail, grouse, only thing I can't get him to retrieve is a goose.

If your open to spending more in the realm of 600-700 dollars I can refer you to a good Llewellyn Setter breeder. I'm very happy with the two dogs we've got from them. I'll admit, they're not the greatest cold weather dogs and not the greatest retrievers, but their noses and ability to hold a point more than make up for that with the hunting that I primarily do.
I was hoping to land somewhere around 4-500 and I have been more and more considering a shelter pup I’m trying to find something that at least has the base genetics though I’m actually watching a 1yr old lab pup in my local shelter if no one claims him in seven days he’s up for adoption might take a wing in with me and just see what happens. That’s a really good price the only Llewelyn’s I’ve seen have been 12-1500

I was hoping to land somewhere around 4-500 and I have been more and more considering a shelter pup I’m trying to find something that at least has the base genetics though I’m actually watching a 1yr old lab pup in my local shelter if no one claims him in seven days he’s up for adoption might take a wing in with me and just see what happens. That’s a really good price the only Llewelyn’s I’ve seen have been 12-1500
Oh and upland chukar, Huns, quail maybe occasional sage grouse and ruffed/blue grouse

See if you can take the Lab at the pound into the "run" (fenced area) if they have one. Don't need to take a wing. Actually, under the circumstances I wouldn't. If he hasn't been introduced to hunting, he may try to eat it.

After we lost the kids' first dog (Lab age 14), I went shopping immediately for another. A couple in Minnesota had bred their aging female for a replacement so I knew the pups should be good. They drove to Duluth to meet us with remaining three female black Lab pups (mother was chocolate, father was yellow, and all pups were black [from his line]). We met at the city zoo where there was lots of lawn area to watch their actions. One pup was quite large and noisy so not interested in it. My wife and son were fawning over one while my daughter and I were checking out the other. Both seemed affectionate and quiet. I took off my ball cap and rattled it in the pup's face. She wanted to play so I tossed it a little ways. She scampered over, tackled it ... and brought it back! I tossed it again. Same thing. And again. "Honey, get over here and meet our new hunting dog!"

Keep in mind that pound pup will be very lonesome and likely overly distracted just having someone paying attention to it for a change. Well, that's how it SHOULD react. Try the usual "sit" command. If it doesn't know that, it's probably been totally ignored. Maybe not a good thing ... or maybe a good thing, depending on the dog and previous owner. Attention span and affectionate disposition are the things you need to look for. If the dog pays attention to you and loves you, it can be taught to walk through fire. Gunshy would be something nice to check for but I don't see how that would be possible at a pound. With a lot of time and effort that can often be overcome. Happens sometimes with even the best bred pups.

All my dogs except the Fr Britt were welped in someone's family garage or back porch. They were all great with no genetic faults (except epilepsy in the last chocolate and she lived fine with it and no meds to age fourteen ... not something that breeders usually screen for anyway). Personally, I think the fancy kennel scene is overrated, especially if picking a Lab pup.

If you do decide on the pound dog, I would advise getting it micro chipped. It might be a runner. Maybe that's why it's there. I think it cost me $35 to get Ellie chipped. Good investment, especially for an expensive dog. Ellie only set me back $400 (a good price for a papered Lab pup) but she can jump the fence and is EXTREMELY outgoing. I worry about her getting stolen.

See if you can take the Lab at the pound into the "run" (fenced area) if they have one. Don't need to take a wing. Actually, under the circumstances I wouldn't. If he hasn't been introduced to hunting, he may try to eat it.

After we lost the kids' first dog (Lab age 14), I went shopping immediately for another. A couple in Minnesota had bred their aging female for a replacement so I knew the pups should be good. They drove to Duluth to meet us with remaining three female black Lab pups (mother was chocolate, father was yellow, and all pups were black [from his line]). We met at the city zoo where there was lots of lawn area to watch their actions. One pup was quite large and noisy so not interested in it. My wife and son were fawning over one while my daughter and I were checking out the other. Both seemed affectionate and quiet. I took off my ball cap and rattled it in the pup's face. She wanted to play so I tossed it a little ways. She scampered over, tackled it ... and brought it back! I tossed it again. Same thing. And again. "Honey, get over here and meet our new hunting dog!"

Keep in mind that pound pup will be very lonesome and likely overly distracted just having someone paying attention to it for a change. Well, that's how it SHOULD react. Try the usual "sit" command. If it doesn't know that, it's probably been totally ignored. Maybe not a good thing ... or maybe a good thing, depending on the dog and previous owner. Attention span and affectionate disposition are the things you need to look for. If the dog pays attention to you and loves you, it can be taught to walk through fire. Gunshy would be something nice to check for but I don't see how that would be possible at a pound. With a lot of time and effort that can often be overcome. Happens sometimes with even the best bred pups.

All my dogs except the Fr Britt were welped in someone's family garage or back porch. They were all great with no genetic faults (except epilepsy in the last chocolate and she lived fine with it and no meds to age fourteen ... not something that breeders usually screen for anyway). Personally, I think the fancy kennel scene is overrated, especially if picking a Lab pup.

If you do decide on the pound dog, I would advise getting it micro chipped. It might be a runner. Maybe that's why it's there. I think it cost me $35 to get Ellie chipped. Good investment, especially for an expensive dog. Ellie only set me back $400 (a good price for a papered Lab pup) but she can jump the fence and is EXTREMELY outgoing. I worry about her getting stolen.
Thanks ya I think I will go just check him out see what his disposition is and reaction or not to me is. I think when it’s right it will be right ya know and I think I’ll know when it happens I’ve also been talking with the gal that has the lab English setter cross and she has five left she is three hours from me so I said I’d talk with her Friday and if she still has a few would run her way and see if one jumps out to me.

Thanks ya I think I will go just check him out see what his disposition is and reaction or not to me is. I think when it’s right it will be right ya know and I think I’ll know when it happens I’ve also been talking with the gal that has the lab English setter cross and she has five left she is three hours from me so I said I’d talk with her Friday and if she still has a few would run her way and see if one jumps out to me.
Good. No need to be in a hurry. When we went to see the pups in Duluth I made it clear to wife and kids that I would make the choice because I had the experience (her dad never let them have pets when she was growing up). They had to accept that I might say no ... or they could stay home. Same thing when I drove to ND with my daughter to check out Ellie's litter. Daughter could come along but it was my choice and if I said no, we were driving back without one. Actually, none of the pups really stood out (but grandma was sure a sweetheart) so I let her make the choice.

Save until you can afford a puppy from a reputable breeder.

With a reputable breeder,

You’ll always have a knowledgable source for expert advice or answering any questions that arise.

You’ll have the reinsurance that the parents have been carefully screened & have the proper genetic tests done to make sure they have healthy offspring.

With a traceable pedigree, you’ll have a better understanding on size & temperament.

A breeder will be able to assist in matching an individual puppy’s temperament perfectly to your individual lifestyle.

Your looking at a 10+ year commitment.. Be prepared to spend $15,000 + over the lifetime of the dog for food, vet bills and other related expenses.

I’ve seen a few hunting dogs that had CHD, its a sad sight..

Last edited:
I am an Airedale man. Not a bird hunter, though I know those that are with 'Dales. $600 from a hunting kennel will get you a good field dog. They are a swiss-army-knife type of dog, not necessarily going to excel at pointing and retrieving, but they will do it if you convince them that's what you want. You don't force-fetch train them, they'll rebel. But if you play fetch with them from puppy onward, they get the message. Smart dogs, though some call them dumb but don't understand that they will get bored with repetition - they catch on danged fast (how long do you think it took for mine to figure out doorknobs - not the lever, the round kind). Great companions, not known for hip problems, and they will keep you laughing. But avoid show breeders, you want a hunting kennel. If you hear the words "Sandhill", "Redline", "Oden Corr", "California Kennel", or "Bock", you are on to something...

UPDATE. Got myself a pup guys. I went with a pointing breed mix his dad is akc GSP and mom is Wirehair Deutsch Draath mix I had to pony up some dough but I got my pick of the males for half the asking price because the young kid I got him from needed money to feed the others. It just fell into place we had originally had a conversation where I told him I was interested but unable to meet his asking price asked him to save my number and if anything happened to keep me in mind. Low and behold 2 weeks later he calls says the pups aren’t moving like the first litter did and he’s running out of puppy chow. We agreed on a price I could do while not burning him and in return he let me have my pick of the males. Couldn’t have asked for it to work better and everyone was right it just kind of happened. Also think I made an out of state hunting buddy with the youngster he wants to come Chukar hunt in Northern NV and he lives on a working ranch with an abundant amount of pheasant from the looks of the pics he showed me. Sounds like a fair swap to me plus he’s curious in seeing the pup grown and working. Thanks to all of you with input and wisdom appreciate it.

UPDATE. Got myself a pup guys. I went with a pointing breed mix his dad is akc GSP and mom is Wirehair Deutsch Draath mix I had to pony up some dough but I got my pick of the males for half the asking price because the young kid I got him from needed money to feed the others. It just fell into place we had originally had a conversation where I told him I was interested but unable to meet his asking price asked him to save my number and if anything happened to keep me in mind. Low and behold 2 weeks later he calls says the pups aren’t moving like the first litter did and he’s running out of puppy chow. We agreed on a price I could do while not burning him and in return he let me have my pick of the males. Couldn’t have asked for it to work better and everyone was right it just kind of happened. Also think I made an out of state hunting buddy with the youngster he wants to come Chukar hunt in Northern NV and he lives on a working ranch with an abundant amount of pheasant from the looks of the pics he showed me. Sounds like a fair swap to me plus he’s curious in seeing the pup grown and working. Thanks to all of you with input and wisdom appreciate it.
Well, lets see some pics when you can....

Ya the pics are deceiving if he’s got some lab it’s small and pretty far back I’ll share a pic of mom and dad

Attachments

• 698CD363-BC25-4A4A-8827-68E51A5C5490.jpeg
    698CD363-BC25-4A4A-8827-68E51A5C5490.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 3
My bad. I see from pic the father is short haired pointer. Damn acronyms. Just glancing through the thread I thought it read GWP. You are bound to get a lot of folks thinking it's a Lab. The best dog for field and home I'll ever own was a Lab/golden cross ($35). She was a sweetheart and a guided missile. I'm pretty sure we had some kind of telepathic link. You're much less likely to have genetic issues with a hybrid. He should work out fine.

Ya I’m stoked and been training myself which I’m told is the hard part for about 6 months now researching and watching every training video I can I hope we can develop that type of connection too he’s doing great with the big life changes so far

So I’m looking for a bird dog but not a man who can go out and drop 12-1500 dollars on a pup and then go cover all the training expenses. I’m looking for ideas on what to look for I noticed quite a few pups of mix breed that I could possibly afford, has anyone had experience with mix pups and training or anyone that may be in an affordable range for a pup?
Definitely watch classifieds. Facebook marketplace/ hunting forums. Got my 2nd lab for $600 and she's AKC registered. My first lab was CKC and he was $1200 in a mall! *facepalm*

Definitely watch classifieds. Facebook marketplace/ hunting forums. Got my 2nd lab for $600 and she's AKC registered. My first lab was CKC and he was $1200 in a mall! *facepalm*
Ya I picked a pointing mix up on Saturday I did an update on the thread if you want to see pics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back