Bird conditions 2023

Elmacho

Throwing a shout out to those that got hammered by snow this year....how is southern idaho, north nevada, montana and sodak looking.

The southwest is looking PRIMED...for quail and maybe chukar

Not on your target list but i have seen noticably more chukar this late winter/spring than i can remember in my area. Havent seen as many sage grouse but i dont see a lot to start with so small sample size.

Not on your target list but i have seen noticably more chukar this late winter/spring than i can remember in my area. Havent seen as many sage grouse but i dont see a lot to start with so small sample size.
A few years ago they (chukars) were just about extinct.

We had some bad storms and some artic temps in Montana this winter.

Curious as how Arizona fared?

Last edited:
Drove through ND a few weeks ago, it was looks very good far as moisture goes. Hopefully that keeps up for the next 3-4 weeks so the ducklings can move to bigger water….. where I will shoot them in September lol

I hope the southwest will be good this year. I live in Vegas and hike in the mountains outside of town a lot, and I have not seen much quail or any chukar so far this year.

Despite the long winter, there were A LOT of huns around this spring. I was seeing pairs in places Ive never seen them - not running dogs or anything, just bumping them jogging roads, driving, etc.

That said, I think their nesting this year is/was largely screwed. Never complain about rain, but my goodness has it been relentless. Colder than normal temperatures, also. Were it not for the already high numbers, Id predict the population would be headed into the bottom of a trough as in 2018-2020.

The grouse are hardier. Ive seen these wet springs (2019!) produce some good numbers.

Not feeling overly optimistic about the huns - my favorite to fly with the falcon - for this coming season. Just wanted to rant. Heres to hope, tho!

I have seen some quail in places I haven’t before, so that’s hopeful. I’m also starting to notice the crickets and grasshoppers flitting around, which also gives me hope that there will be decent upland hunting this fall.

Throwing a shout out to those that got hammered by snow this year....how is southern idaho, north nevada, montana and sodak looking.

The southwest is looking PRIMED...for quail and maybe chukar
Nevada is still pretty dry haven't seen any Sage grouse,few Chuckar and only a few very spread out very small quail groups.

ND duck and pheasant numbers were up this spring according to the state counts. Western MN is looking pretty good for both.

Dove and quail are doing exceptionally well in the south west corner of AZ. Could use some monsoon moisture though. The dove opener should be a blast.

I've seen a bunch of hen turkeys with little chicks this year in central MN. Not sure how the ruffed grouse and pheasants are doing.

Archery season starts up soon. Hoping to run into some grouse

I’ve seen a lot of quail around lately

Im out in the field in SW MT every day for work....Mnt grouse clutches seem to be small to nonexistent, sage grouse seem average, I haven't seen any hun chicks, but have seen a fair amount of adults (they arnt that common here), turkeys seem to have ave poult numbers. I havent seen many pheasants with chicks but the ones I have had had 3-5 with them.

Since my last post, I've seen several hen turkeys with smaller than average clutch sizes, but healthy looking poults. Blues and Ruffs both seem ok,; several good size groups. The quail have had some really big hatches here around home lately also. Spent some time out and about for work last week also and saw nice size chukar broods.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the hatch success for most everything!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back