Bipod, Sticks, Pack, or Nothing?

I won't rifle hunt without a bipod on my gun. No fussing with packs or sticks or trees. Just drop down and you're solid.

For rifle hunting in sage brush flats a BogPod is pretty useful, especially for new hunters. Generally the brush is too high to shoot from a bipod prone, and the BogPod doubles as a tripod for glassing. If the terrain and brush allows it, though, I prefer to shoot off of my pack prone, sitting or kneeling.

I'll try and get a picture posted of my wife using the double crossed shooting sticks. They are pretty slick and can be adjusted to various heights. The sticks support the entire weight of the gun, yet they are light and compact.

I've seen multiple elk/deer due because of the sticks. Without them the shots wouldn't have been possible.

I have used a bipod for about 15 years and really prefer it. I am adding a small rear support (Bipod Buddy) this year as well. I shot with it for the first time at the range last week and was really impressed with how steady I was and how my groups tightened up. I don't consider myself a great shot, so the bipod up front and newly acquired rear support really help me out.

I use a shooting "y" that attaches to my tripod. I use my tripod for the spotting scope on it's with me no matter what. The "y" easily packs with very little weight. The extra plate for the spotting scope and the "y" can be purchased for under $20.

I use a shooting "y" that attaches to my tripod. I use my tripod for the spotting scope on it's with me no matter what. The "y" easily packs with very little weight. The extra plate for the spotting scope and the "y" can be purchased for under $20.

Do you happen to have a link to what you're talking about? I've never heard of such a thing, but sounds like it would be a good thing to have.

100% that is it. You need to get the plate adapter for your specific tripod which is very inexpensive (my dad actually got his for free after calling Nixon) and then it is as simple as switching it out when ready. If you have the time, its as good a normal shooting stick but not an extra item to carry while backpacking or a few miles out from the truck.

https://www.amazon.com/V-Yoke-Attachment-Camera-Monopod-shooting/dp/B005F0S29G

highandheavyoutdoors.com is the maker of the Double Crossed Shooting sticks.

I cant get any pics to post from my phone. If anyone has any questions about them let me know and ill answer the best I can

Hammers V yoke mount with camera thread for monopod shooting stick

A couple weeks ago I was thinking about the upcoming pronghorn hunt and looked for a shooting yoke that fits on my camera monopod. It came in the mail yesterday, the same one as shown above. Sometimes the sage is a little too high for shooting from a sitting or kneeling position. This cradles my rifle nicely. Well made and only $8.99 delivered via USPS.

http://hammersbinoculars.stores.yaho...yomowicat.html

Thanks Hummer for the link. My monopod "lost" its gun cradle during a turkey hunt this spring. I will for sure use the eyehole to secure the cradle to the top of the shooting stick to prevent a reoccurrence.

I think it is really personal preference on how you can get your best, steady position. For me, I use a Harris pi-pod. If it is a long shot, I like shooting prone (bipod on the front and my pack in the back). I've found that this is the steadiest position for me.

Don't forget, the yoke pictured above can easily be mounted to a quick release plate and swapped between your mono and the tri-pod under your spotter. This gives you one, two, and three leg support options at varying heights and solid support over uneven terrain.

Last edited:
I carry collapsible shooting sticks. When I'm hiking, I have it ready. I also use it as a quasi walking stick.

The Y shown is pretty much the same as the one I use on my Manfrotto tripod. Same thing is on my hiking stick,but I started using hiking poles last year again.

Outdoorsmans

i have the outdoorsmans tripod. It's totally awesome in so many ways.

I just got the rear rifle rest and the double "V" that adapts to the dovetail on top of the pan head.

Obviously in a pinch you would use a backpack or tree but if you had some time to set up on a bedded animal or one that had no clue you are there, I think this would be the best setup.

It allows the gun to be left in place ready to go if you need to double-check your turret(sorry Fatrack), or wait till a bedded animal stand up. Also, with youth, you could line up the rifle and avoid the (dad, I can't see the deer).......moment.

It gives your rifle three points of contact, adjusts easy and is very stable. Going back and forth from spotter to rifle rest is fast and simple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 98
I'm one of those old coots who grew up using open sights and shooting offhand. It works out perfect for my timber still hunting. 100yds is my max distance, but i've never had to take that long of a shot on elk. I find as I get older and my vision fades I have to get closer, but that's ok. I enjoy getting as close as possible anyway.

I enjoy the feel of carrying and shouldering a rifle un-scoped.

Back