Bipod or Tripod for rifle elk?

northwoodsPT

Looking for some suggestions or recommendations on which route to go for an upcoming elk hunt. I was looking into the portable models not ones that attach onto the rifle.
I don’t have experience using either. Just want to have a stable rest that can be set up quickly.
Thanks in advance

I used to use a bipod on my gun, which works ok but adds a bunch of weight, throws off the balance for freehand shots and gets in the way of the strap on my gun bearer sling. I then started practicing off of my pack as a rest and wont go back. Much more efficient and after some practice I'm just as accurate.

I use a primos trigger stick for whitetail. I agree with the idea of taking less stuff in to the mountains. Of course, you could also use it as a trekking pole....

I have the shorter Caldwell folding bipod on my rifle but have never used them. I carry Stoney Point shooting sticks and every mule deer I have take has come off them. They serve as a walking stick most of the time.

Either use you backpack or flip the straps of your trekking poles over one another and you have instant shooting sticks. Using the backpack is going to be the more stable of the two. Either way, practice shooting in those situations before you hunt.

I use a jacket or pack, but prefer my tripod now.
Use stoney point sticks too.
Do not like a rifle mounted bipod.

I have used these for the past 15+ years. Weight just a few ounces and setup in seconds. They are the perfect height and give me a very steady rest while sitting on the ground with elbows on the knees.
s7NZVgT.jpg

I carry Stoney Point sticks as well. They fold up in my backpack. I usually walk with them extended as a walking stick. When I sit down I rest my rifle on them and i'm rock steady. They are not tall enough to shoot standing, but work well for sitting or kneeling.

Shooting Sticks.jpg

Does anyone have a set of Stoney Point Steady Stix for sale, by chance? I would be interested.

Thanks...

I like those lightweight telescoping sticks similar to what Fair Chase posted, have shot several elk off of them with my .300RUM. When I use trekking poles, I use them either just held together or twist tied together with one of those big rubber-coated gear twist ties. I really really like using my REI trekking poles and then raving about how effective the setup is when I go back into REI, usually drawing horrified stares from their non-hunting staff.

I also like my tripod trigger sticks better than my older bog pod. I usually just take those when I take my kids hunting. They're kind of heavy when it's me hunting and carrying all my own gear.

I have used a few different brands of shooting sticks and I now use the Easton Cross Shot sticks. They are the strongest sticks I have used. The center is supported by a cable and not a rubber cord. They are a little heavier than most other brands but worth it in my opinion. I like them enough that I have purchased sets for my son and grandsons. I also own 3 for myself. One tall set and 2 medium sets (36"). I think they are around $30.

I use a bipod for antelope because prone shots in flat country is the norm. For elk hunting though, the bipod stays home. For prone shots I rest the rifle on my pack. For standing or kneeling shots I can usually find a branch or stump to use as a rest.

I have a bipod on a few of my guns and its very effective but I kinda shoot it in an odd way , sitting with my legs crossed and rest my elbow on the thigh making it a tripod of sorts im not a fast shot that way but very accurate 2 to 300 yrds are a chip shot that way for me and reaching out farther is a lot easier too

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back