Caribou Gear

Biologists racing to save moose find clues in the forest floor

Great bull NoWiser. Here’s my 2006 BWCA bull from Malberg lake. It took 4 of us 2 days to canoe and portage him out. I grunted him in for a shot and he came in looking for a fight. It was an intense couple of minutes. 62.5”

Attachments

• D32E9AB7-21AA-450B-B6C5-8AD0F1FE2F0D.jpeg
    D32E9AB7-21AA-450B-B6C5-8AD0F1FE2F0D.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 25
Great bull NoWiser. Here’s my 2006 BWCA bull from Malberg lake. It took 4 of us 2 days to canoe and portage him out. I grunted him in for a shot and he came in looking for a fight. It was an intense couple of minutes. 62.5”
Didn’t you have to apply for the tag with a party of 4?

It was changed to a party of 2 when they made it a once in a lifetime hunt. Unfortunately it’s a hunting opportunity that we’ll never get back now. The Fond du Lac band of Ojibway still exercises their right to hunt moose in Minnesota each fall. They take a lot of crap for it but so far they have stood their ground.

Last edited:

We scouted Malberg for my hunt and had planned on hunting a couple portages to the north around Beaver. The Pagami Creek fire had other plans for us and shut down the entire unit until about a week before my hunt when they opened up the NE part of the unit. My buddy and I hunted about a week and passed up a few bulls, including one I called in to 11 yards. The fire flared up and planes were buzzing us so we shot an old bull with small antlers figuring we’d get evacuated and our hunt would be over.

The next year my dad drew the same tag. He and his brother went and shot the pictured bull after passing up a smaller one the previous day at under 10 yards. Took us 4 days to get out with it after we got caught in a winter storm. Such great memories and I’m sad that the opportunity is no longer there. I don’t think there’s a hunt like it in the Lower 48.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back