Caribou Gear

Binos in $250-$300 range

matechakeric

do a lot of deer hunting in PA and getting back into western elk and deer. would Vortex Diamondbacks 10x42 be a good option or would 8 power be good? Does Vortex have good class in that price range?

I have the vipers and really like them. I’d look hard at the Athlons. A buddy bought one of their scopes and I was very impressed with the clarity. Good luck.

Vortex tends to have decent value (vs cost) and many people tout their warranty, but it also seems that an awful lot of people have to use it. I wasn’t impressed with their low end 15s. I would look at Steiner 8x42 Predator (my backup binos that I actually really like) and also Nikon/Leupold.

Unsolicited advice … I would save/wait a year or so until you can go up one level ($700) because you can get into some good glass there, especially if gently used.

If you do more PA deer, I’d lean 8x

Good luck

I'm with Jeff. I have Athlon Ares binos and Vortex Vipers. I reach for the Ares every time. I haven't looked through the Cronus but I imagine they are great for the price point.

I’ve had really good experience over the last couple years with my Maven C1’s. I think they’re tough to beat in that price range, definitely measure above the diamond backs

If the bino's are mostly used for PA hunting, the 8x's will be just fine, I have a Leupold set for over 10 years and no issues, can't remember the model but have been with me in quite a few states for hunting. The Leupold's were under $500.

I like 10x42, the diamondbacks are "okay" if you haven't used better glass before, if planning to do a lot of glassing I'd say get something better, but for light glassing and pulling them out to check stuff you'd probably be fine with diamondbacks. I'd try some variety out in a store if possible, see for yourself.

I've been carrying Steiner 8x30 MM for 30 years. I paid $275 for them at Brigade Quartermasters in Kennesaw, GA. It was more than we could afford at the time. I've had them warranty repaired twice in the last 5 years. I flat wore out the rubber armoring and they replaced it. The second time the hinge pin broke.

I see these same binos are about $275 today online!

I rented Swarovski from Tracy Barnes for my Alaska trip this year. I definitely will be moving up when the money is there. As others have said. Start saving now.

We all want better glass, and there is definitely a difference. But the Steiners have been a field companion for decades and they live in my truck console the rest of the time.

***Unpopular opinion*** I think the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 are great glass for the price. I use them and a spotter here in SD with good success.

Low entry price and pretty good performance. I'm sure other glass is much better, but it does the job well IMHO.

I'd spend more on a spotter. I use bino's to find them and the spotter to take a better look.

***Unpopular opinion*** I think the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 are great glass for the price. I use them and a spotter here in SD with good success.

Low entry price and pretty good performance. I'm sure other glass is much better, but it does the job well IMHO.

I'd spend more on a spotter. I use bino's to find them and the spotter to take a better look.
do a lot of deer hunting in PA and getting back into western elk and deer. would Vortex Diamondbacks 10x42 be a good option or would 8 power be good? Does Vortex have good class in that price range?

Agree with the above, the Diamondback 10x42 served me well for a bunch of years before I moved up to a new set of binos, they still ride around with me as the truck glass/backups.

Can you hold 10x still enough to use the extra detail over 8x? Do you need long eye relief for eyeglasses?

If you can get something made in Japan in that price range you’ll do pretty well. You probably can’t find anything made in USA or Europe for that price, and the the Japanese stuff usually outperforms the other Asian optics. That said, the gap has been narrowing considerably.

Back