PEAX Equipment

Binos for kids?

marksjeep

I'm looking for input regarding binos for kids. My 7.5 year old will be joining me on some scouting trips and possibly a local hunt this fall. I want him to have fun and get hit eyes on critters. He's looked thru my leupold 8x42 pinnacles at the range and says he can see, but they seem too heavy for him. Most of the compact binos at local shops seem to be junk based on a real quick pass by. Anyone here set up kids of similar age with binos have suggestions? I figure I'll just drag him to the local sportsman and cabelas, and have him look thru a few sets of decent entry grade binos. I'd like to keep costs reasonable, but want him to be able to see clearly enough to learn how to find animals.

Thanks. Mark

I have the Bushnell Permanent Focus for my kids. They are light, inexpensive, they don't have to adjust anything and they are good enough I use them for general what's that out in the field duty because they get left in the window all the time.

So realistically, does your kid that age really need to have better binos than a junk pair? The first time he drops them on a rock how pissed will you be if you spent more than $40/50 on them. Just like when I've seen people ask about a good puffy for their kid. Does a kid need a puffy and when it rips the first time....

That said, I would look at Alpen. Not the greatest glass in the world. But they all come with the same kind of lifetime warranty that Vortex has. I have a small pair of 10x25 that I keep in my car for the little looks here and there. So far no issues. They cost $26 from Alpen's website. http://alpenoptics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=alpen&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=279 I got tired of replacing the same size Bushnells that would have the glass go out of wack after a few years. If this happens on those Alpens....warrenty. And If I drop them....warrenty. I also keep a pair of the 16x52's in my truck when I'm hunting. Again, not high-end glass but they are adequate to get all dusty in my vehicle and they only cost me around $60/70. Too heavy for a kid. And don't get me wrong, if you go up from the little one I suggested, you're paying a little over $100 but they do have that no fault warranty if your son drops them. I know Sportman's Warehouse has them if you want to go check some out.

While I appreciate that kids might like small, compact binoculars for carrying, a somewhat larger pair would facilitate spotting and be more fun overall. I agree that something around 6x would be good -- minimal trembling artifact and maximize the field of view. My kid has destroyed several pairs of expensive binoculars. I just bought two pair of Leupold's bottom shelf binoculars for my goddaughters and they were delighted with them. I would buy some solid, but not huge, bargain glass, with a high quality after-market strap to make them easier to tote.

I would look at the Yosemite and consider the Theron Wapiti LT series.

Thanks again for the input, lots of good suggestions for dealing with kids binos. We got out and looked at several brands and models. We ended up with a set of 6.5x32 Vortex Raptor. http://vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-raptor-6-5x32-binocular The physical size is almost the same as the Leupold, perhaps just a touch smaller. Image quality is surprisingly good. The cost was not a deciding factor, but it was on sale, so lucky me. Finally, vortex's warranty closed the deal. If (when) he drops and breaks them, they are covered. We're heading out for a weekend of camping with a little scouting time included, so they will get a good trial run this weekend.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back