Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Binocular decision.

PaLuke

Hello everyone, I have a $1000 budget for a pair of binoculars. I’m thinking either Meopta Meostars or Leupold Santiums. Either will be 10x42. I’m going to the store on Monday to check them out. I might as well throw Leica
Trinovids into the mix also. Any suggestions or past experiences would be great. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Zeiss Conquest HD should be in your list to consider as well.

I’d recommend looking at these too. I’m going to get a new pair of binos as well. I recently went to try them out and the Zeiss were much more comfortable for my eyes than the Leupold or Meopta. I’m going a different route and getting the Swarovski SLC though (I got gift cards for 10% off at Cabela’s and am waiting for them to run their regular 10% off deal. Supposedly you can get an extra 10% cash back through active junky...we’ll see if it works). The only real comparison I got was for feel since I was just in the store. If active junky works out, I’ll get my Swaros for not a terrible lot more than your budget. If you’re not in a hurry, this could be another option for you

I’d recommend looking at these too. I’m going to get a new pair of binos as well. I recently went to try them out and the Zeiss were much more comfortable for my eyes than the Leupold or Meopta. I’m going a different route and getting the Swarovski SLC though (I got gift cards for 10% off at Cabela’s and am waiting for them to run their regular 10% off deal. Supposedly you can get an extra 10% cash back through active junky...we’ll see if it works). The only real comparison I got was for feel since I was just in the store. If active junky works out, I’ll get my Swaros for not a terrible lot more than your budget. If you’re not in a hurry, this could be another option for you
[/
Hello everyone, I have a $1000 budget for a pair of binoculars. I’m thinking either Meopta Meostars or Leupold Santiums. Either will be 10x42. I’m going to the store on Monday to check them out. I might as well throw Leica
Trinovids into the mix also. Any suggestions or past experiences would be great. Thank you and Merry Christmas.
Thanks guys for the replies. I will also look at the Zeiss. I just looked at the Zeiss price and they’re very similar. The store also carries Zeiss. Take care

I’ve had the Conquests for a few years now and really like them, especially the ergonomics, but I do still find myself day dreaming about Swarovskis occasionally. Maybe just a grass is always greener thing, but in this case I’m sure the grass is indeed greener.
I have heard nothing but great things about Meopta Meostars.

The above options are good. Another possibility if you have time...you should be able to find some used Zeiss Victory T* FL's or pre-HD Swaro Habichts for $850-$950 range. Cameraland NY has a pair of demo 10x42 Trinovid HD's for $699 right now, pretty good deal.

I have been happy with my Trinovids, didn't test the other models you mention though.

Thanks again for the replies. I live about an hour from EuroOptic in Pennsylvania. I’m following their website waiting for the Christmas sales. Reading reviews of the binos can be confusing as well as overwhelming. Best thing for me to do I guess would be to just try them. Take care.

Thanks again for the replies. I live about an hour from EuroOptic in Pennsylvania. I’m following their website waiting for the Christmas sales. Reading reviews of the binos can be confusing as well as overwhelming. Best thing for me to do I guess would be to just try them. Take care.

Just keep in mind, trying them out in the store will not be a real test for real world hunting/lighting conditions, so take the online reviews/forum discussions into account when making a decision.

Just keep in mind, trying them out in the store will not be a real test for real world hunting/lighting conditions, so take the online reviews/forum discussions into account when making a decision.
Thanks for the reply. Is there anything ergonomically or functionally that I should look for. Take care.

After deciding on a couple of models that would work well, I would search for them on ebay and wait a bit for a pair to show up. Glass doesn't wear out from looking through it, so they would be a good item to buy used.

You might even be able to scale up a grade in quality for the same price you would buy a lesser grade new.

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything ergonomically or functionally that I should look for. Take care.

I am far from an expert. I just looked for what felt comfortable to me in my hands and fit my eyes good. Others on this site may have more useful advice. Oh...and if you go to Cabelas, the salesman will try to tell you Vortex is just as good as Swarovski....don't believe them ;)

I am far from an expert. I just looked for what felt comfortable to me in my hands and fit my eyes good. Others on this site may have more useful advice. Oh...and if you go to Cabelas, the salesman will try to tell you Vortex is just as good as Swarovski....don't believe them ;)

When he does, if you look across the brightly lit store, it may appear that he was right. The test of binoculars is what they can see when the going gets tough. The light is low, the contrast is worse and the mirage is miserable. None of which can be assessed in the store.

I still recommend used over new when it comes to good glass.

When he does, if you look across the brightly lit store, it may appear that he was right. The test of binoculars is what they can see when the going gets tough. The light is low, the contrast is worse and the mirage is miserable. None of which can be assessed in the store.

I still recommend used over new when it comes to good glass.
I couldn't agree more. I was able to buy like new less than 6 month old Zeiss Conquest 10x42's for just over $700 off ebay.

I couldn't agree more. I was able to buy like new less than 6 month old Zeiss Conquest 10x42's for just over $700 off ebay.
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I believe they have some store demos there that sometimes are $200 off. Again, thanks and Merry Christmas.

Hello, I ended up getting the Zeiss Conquest 10x42. They seemed clearer than the others I tried. The one that really stood out were the Swarovski EL 10x42. They were incredible, but at $2,600 they should be. I really wanted the Santiums to be the best but they just lacked in clarity compared to the Zeiss. Thanks to everyone for their advice in making this decision. Take care.

Back