Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

bino tripod

pablodiablo

Hello, Im a new guy in the world of western hunting, taking my first trip to hunt elk in CO unit 70, 2nd rifle season.

I was wondering if any experienced elk hunters, or anyone familiar with this area can steer me one way or the other in terms of bringing and using a bino tripod...do you folks think a tripod is useful for this hunt? Thanks much!

If you are 10x or higher (I use 10x/8x and 15x) then absolutely. The stability will show you a lot more animals. I use the bogpod system so that I can shoot off of my tripod (sitting, standing, or prone) or attach the pistol grip and glass. It is a compromise between using lightweight systems but 2 tripods or 1 tripod that does them all.

I liked it enough that I bought a shorter version since I prefer to shoot sitting or prone.

I'm contemplating using my trekking poles by themselves this year if I want to go really lightweight and plan on only using 10x binos in the mountains. I wouldn't bother using 15xs on a simple rest like that as it is not enough support to glass large areas at that magnification (too much bounce).

+1 on Nuevo's post. I have never used more than 8x when hunting in the timber, but when I get back out there, I will have a set of 15x big eyes on a tripod for sure when glassing in the AM and PM. I have heard great things about the Bogpod.

I've glassed both with and without a tripod. I tend to let my situation dictate what I do. Where I used to hunt in WA I never carried a tripod as I tended to do more still hunting with my smoke pole. Here is AZ on the other hand, I don't go out without it! I use a 10x42 bino and its on my tripod the entire time I'm glassing. Not only does it get tiring sitting there holding up your bino's, I also tend to sit longer if I've taken the time to get set up with my tripod. And with this big country I'm glassing down here, you can't look at an area too long.

Agreed - the bigger the country the more important it is to sit and glass on a tripod. Unless you like walking and walking, I suppose :)

I have a light Manfrotto tripod I use with 10x50 binos,65 spotter,camera,and now I got a Y rest that fits for shooting.
I was looking at getting a Bogpod as many folks I know use them but this tripod I had works just fine and is way lighter. I would not work to long as a hiking staff like most Bogpod guys do.
I like my hands free or a gun in one hunting.I do use poles now for hiking & such,but sure would hate to have a buck or elk appear out of no where with poles strapped to my hands fumbling for my gun...

If anyone has ever hunter whitetails in AZ they know how valuable a pair of Binos are on a tripod. Tradeoff is the size and weight. That being said, I would only use a tripod if I was looking with 12X or better.

When I am out west, even with 10x binos, I use the tripod whenever I can. Makes a world of a difference, even when glassing spots under 200 yards away.

I bought a Vortex Summit tripod last year and the difference it made in my glassing was huge! Even with my 10x binos the extra stability made the image way clearer and I feel like it was easier on my eyes at the end of the day. Use a tripod.

I glass with a tripod almost exclusively (10x binos). Well worth the weight to me.

Take a look at the Sirui t-025x. It is a great bino tripod, a little light for a big spotter though.

Got a pretty good deal on a vortex pro gt tripod, it is a little bit heavier to pack around the mountains but I really like the trade off for stability I use it for 15 power binos along with a razor spotting scope it has made a world of difference glassing with binos off of a tripod

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jd Gardner
Back