Bino Selection

CabinFever

If you have or would have 2 sets of binos which sizes would you go for, for western hunting? 10x42 seems the most popular all-around but if you were to have 2 what would it be? 8x32 and 12x50 or 12x42, 8x42 and 12x50, 10x32 and 12x50? Other combos?

8x32 and 15x56. All I use are 8x32 though but I also live in the Midwest so they're a good middle ground for at home and out west for me.

I don't know.

I just bought a pair of 8x30 Swarovski's because I'm trying to save weight. I'm not sure how different hunting with them will be. I've used 10x42's exclusively before this.

I gave a pair of 10x25's serious consideration as well, but only used in conjuction with a spotting scope. I decided against them because I was concerned about eye fatigue after long, consecutive days of glassing.

I've been second guessing myself since I bought the 8x30's, but I'll try them for this season and adjust from there.

Don't, I love mine and they are super friendly to use and easy on the eyes. I have a pair of 10x42s as well (not swaro) but I typically grab my SLCs every time. I spent 10 days glassing some big ass county in northern BC and they didn't limit me in anyway.

Looking for antlers on this hillside was no easy task.

I think the best combination is 10X42 and 15X56. 12 power is too much for me for hand held glassing. With 8 power, I want to go to the spotter too much.

I think the best combination is 10X42 and 15X56. 12 power is too much for me for hand held glassing. With 8 power, I want to go to the spotter too much.

I have tried a lot of combinations from the leica duovids, to all other ranges from the top end manufactures and i always keep coming back to two pairs of bins for use in every situation.

My Leica Geovid HD's in 10x42 for general use and the Swaro 15x56's for out wide or in big open country.

Swaro 10x42 is my go to bino; but would like to have a pair of swaro 10x30 for bow hunting because of the frame size and lighter weight.

Swaro offers them. Screw out ocular lens and screw on doublers, can use one or two but two is easier for glassing. I like a scope but don't always need that much; take 10x42 el's with two doublers, tripod with adaptor and go at it.

Redwood, you seem to be the only person I can find that really likes doublers. I like the idea of them, but not sure I want to throw in that much money on 2 or them if I don't feel the same as you.

For everyone else, say I have a good pair of 10x42's, would you add to it a set of 8x30's or 8x42's?

I have always like either 8 or 10 power as a standard. If I was going to do much Coues hunting, I would probably have a 12 or 15 power as a tripod option.

Doublers are spendy and not for everybody, they were nice to have the other day while scouting for goats though. If you have 10x42s, don't get 8x42's. They're so similar. Get something geared toward a different niche. A nice set of compacts to keep in the truck or for freestanding hunting. Perhaps a larger set next to the window, for birding, or again for in the rig when viewing new areas or vacation. I love a 10x42 for western hunting, but higher mag comes in handy so often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back