PEAX Equipment

Bill allowing crossbows during MT archery

RobG

SB 174 would allow people disabled or over the age of 70 to use crossbows during the regular archery season. It will be heard by the Senate Fish and Game Committee on Tuesday, Feb 5th.

Tell me your thoughts... Is it allowed in your state? Did it start with similar restrictions and morph into no restrictions such as is the case in Wyoming and PA?

rg

Nothing has been more detrimental to our archery season in NY and CT as crossbows. Same can be said for onio.
Dont make the same mistake we did.

Nothing has been more detrimental to our archery season in NY and CT as crossbows. Same can be said for onio.
Dont make the same mistake we did.
I forgot to mention I'm going up to Helena on Tuesday to speak in opposition to this bill. If you have any hard facts I will present them.

For disabled and over 70 - I believe is key. I tend to err on the side of empowering as many Americans as possible to enjoy hunting. The pull of a bow is a significant challenge within categories of disabilities.
I support it. I would oppose it if opened for the general hunting community.

Sheesh for a Republican controlled legislature there sure seems to be a lot of entitlement bills.

The disabled and elderly can already hunt with a crossbow. I see no reason opening it up into the Archery season.

My dad has been suffering from the effects of carpal tunnel syndrome for years due to many years of repetative usage of his hands as a machinist and taxidermist, that is now untreatable with surgery. As a result, he hasn't been able to shoot a compound or recurve for several years. He used to be an excellent shot with either. The problem is, he has episodes were he loses all grip, and shooting a compound could actually be dangerous if he were to draw and release early. He will turn 74 in May. We have liberal crossbow laws in Ohio. He has been able to continue bow hunting because of this. The crossbows have definitely added a lot of hunters to the woods each fall. As much as he would love to chase rutting elk in the fall, we will probably be relegated to doing this in Wyoming, since he could use a crossbow. He doesn't blame anyone for not wanting a crossbow for their elk archery season. We thought about getting him an exemption for New Mexico, and his doc was fine with doing the paperwork, but he didn't feel right about it considering some people on the MI hunts are in way worse shape. We are going to put in for an archery hunt in New Mexico, however. He has been shooting a high let off bow a few times and he thinks he may be able to use one, but not over 20-25 yards. If he draws with me in New Mexico archery this year, I'll probably try to get him on a waterhole to make that kind of shot a possibility. As he always says, you gotta go with what your dealt. I really don't have a huge problem with the over 70 deal, but I can definitely understand people's concerns.

Dcopas - glad your father is able to continue the enjoyment experienced throughout life!

The disabled and elderly can already hunt with a crossbow. I see no reason opening it up into the Archery season.

Is there something additional to this then? It's simply a duplicate of an already legal activity?

Edit > I fully support this bill if to support our elderly and disabled to enjoy the archery season.

Last edited:
Crossbows have been legal in Wyoming archery seasons for 40 years with no documented affects. New technology could change that but having seen them in the field first hand in Wyoming, I have no problem with them.

Some seem to always suggest that somehow crossbow hunters will be so efficient at killing that allowing them will result in a shortening of the archery season.

Has that actually happened anywhere?

As mentioned places like Wyoming and Nebraska have been allowing crossbows and since then Nebraska has actually lengthened the archery season and it does not seem like it's been a problem in Wyoming.

With so many states already allowing crossbows during archery season it's just a matter of time IMO. Hunting industry driven.

What's interesting is trying to understand why some get so emotional about this topic. Some are truly adamant that the sky will fall if crossbows are allowed.

I don't really care of someone want's to use a crossbow but they are kinda like fat chicks and mopeds, you don't really want to be seen with them.

Use to be for over a certain age here or if you had a medical exemption , I don't remember the age exactly 65 maybe? Then it was for the second half of archery season after gun season. Shortly thereafter it was changed to the entire archery season. I have no problem with the over a certain age or medically exempt rule at all, but just like most things once they get there foot in the door you know what happens next.

Deja Vu all over again. Last time proposed its was HB 176. Following is what I submit to the legislature.

Please oppose HB 176, this time SB 174, the crossbow bill.
Crossbows are already approved for hunting during the general season and before and after in Weapons Restriction Areas, thus a long season of opportunity is available for crossbow hunters.

Physical limitations of disabled hunters allow those hunters to acquire a Permit to Modify Archery Equipment to let them modify conventional archery equipment to hunt during the Archery Only Season. In fact, Montana Bowhunters Association assists disabled bowhunters in modifying their archery equipment and going afield to hunt.

Crossbows are more closely akin to rifles than archery bows. Crossbows shoot a short metal bolt, rather than an arrow. Crossbows, much like firearms, are mechanically cocked, then fired pulling a trigger. Crossbows employ a sighting system much like a rifle and often are equipped with optical scopes. The crossbow is much easier employed as a hunting weapon and, if allowed during the Archery Only Season, would significantly transform the challenging aspect of "archery" hunting.

No problem exists regarding opportunity for crossbow hunting. Please refrain from crafting legislation to solve problems which do not exist.

Some seem to always suggest that somehow crossbow hunters will be so efficient at killing that allowing them will result in a shortening of the archery season.

Has that actually happened anywhere?

Ohio's deer quality has improved in the time frame since crossbow hunting has been allowed. The season has, I believe, been lengthened also. I'd attribute the deer quality improvement to more hunters being a field, supplying better habit through lease improvements. There is also a lot of income for the small local communities that wouldn't be there. I'm not a fan of leases; I've lost countless acres to lease, but it has improved the management of our deer. I'm not saying it works out west but more options isn't necessarily a bad thing in these times of waning hunter participation. Especially back to the east here, where loss of access is the paramount reason why many hunters have quit. It may be false logic, but my belief is the more participation we have as a hunting community, the more likely we are to have a voice at the table in matters related to land access, management/purchase of public lands, game management, etc. Of course, that means electing good leaders that listen to their constituents. That's a big "if" nowadays.

I hunted a few times with a guy missing his right arm from the shoulder down. He shot a long bow, drawing it back with his teeth. He killed as many elk, deer, etc. as anyone. I guess his definition of disabled is different then most.

I would be ok with elderly and disabled using them. I don't see that number as being very high, but maybe I am wrong or maybe it grows to become a problem. However, I see that as a slippery slope. They are not the same as vertical bows (whatever you want to call them). I would never want crossbows to be equated to verticals in anyway.

FWIW, I have shot one deer in TN with a crossbow. Frankly, I felt like I was cheating after the fact. I'm glad for the experience, but will probably never pick one up again unless there is crossbow only season or the like.

Use to be for over a certain age here or if you had a medical exemption , I don't remember the age exactly 65 maybe? Then it was for the second half of archery season after gun season. Shortly thereafter it was changed to the entire archery season. I have no problem with the over a certain age or medically exempt rule at all, but just like most things once they get there foot in the door you know what happens next.
The same thing happened in PA. The technology improvement of archery equipment alone is going to force some changes one of these days. Adding crossbows will be just adding another can of worms to deal with.

However, I see that as a slippery slope.
That is a viable concern. Montana Bowhunters Association (MBA) worked hard and long to establish a viable archery season, with the desired length. One concern is that the crossbow distinction would be eventually recognized and/or crossbow hunters would organize and there would be a separate season, shortening the archery only season. I don't mind being redundant, but the crossbow hunting opportunities are already plentiful: shoulder seasons, Weapons Restricted Areas (before, after, and during regular season) and regular season.

Michigan has allowed crossbows for about 10 yrs, no real detrimental issues to speak off as far as i can tell.

Always th thought it was strange the crossbows are illegal for Turkey in MT. I worked for Excaliber for a bit and wanted to give it a whirl..... ended up getting rid of all my crossbows after I quit working for them... never hunted anything with one.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back