PEAX Equipment

Bighorns in an unusual spot

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
Ok this may sound real dumb but I live in Pa and dont know about all the things that go on out west ,So if wild sheep migrate to an area and may come in contact with domestic sheep they are killed I get it to avoid spreading a disease but why cant they be caught , tranquilized and given a shot to kill what they might have?
and be released may sound dumb but they are such a valuable resource

There used to be a couple nice rams right behind Point of rocks. And I remember for two years straight seeing a band of rams on pine mountain. Rams and ewes by black butte etc etc.

Never could figure out where they came from, always assumed CO...

Last edited:
Ok this may sound real dumb but I live in Pa and dont know about all the things that go on out west ,So if wild sheep migrate to an area and may come in contact with domestic sheep they are killed I get it to avoid spreading a disease but why cant they be caught , tranquilized and given a shot to kill what they might have?
and be released may sound dumb but they are such a valuable resource
There is no vaccine or antibiotic that will protect them from or clear them of the bacteria that cause respiratory disease. It's also not feasible to capture them. You'd have no way of knowing if they were already exposed, so there is a risk of pathogen transmission when moving them back to the main herd. Capturing sheep is not an easy proposition. You have to be close to dart them. There are only 3-4 companies doing helicopter capture and they are not available on demand.

Best bet is to kill them...and then make sure its plastered on every social media page and newspaper in the State. Let it be known that domestic sheep are taking priority over wild sheep.

Maybe a few more folks will get involved.
I’ve asked CPW repeatedly to use press releases to educate the public when they kill bighorns for contacting domestics. They will not do so because they claim the public will not report contacts if they know the bighorns will be killed.

I’ve asked CPW repeatedly to use press releases to educate the public when they kill bighorns for contacting domestics. They will not do so because they claim the public will not report contacts if they know the bighorns will be killed.
The whole thing is a shame. Native or transplanted Bighorns should definitely be preferred over domestics especially on or near public land.

Bingo. That is what happens!

ClearCreek

There is no vaccine or antibiotic that will protect them from or clear them of the bacteria that cause respiratory disease. It's also not feasible to capture them. You'd have no way of knowing if they were already exposed, so there is a risk of pathogen transmission when moving them back to the main herd. Capturing sheep is not an easy proposition. You have to be close to dart them. There are only 3-4 companies doing helicopter capture and they are not available on demand.
I thought that was probably the case they should still do some type of a quick lottery and let sportsman cull them but the Gov. never does quick very well
Wasnt their a heard they opened up to that abt 5 yrs ago when they found a disease

Domestic sheep are a scourge on the land scape, not only in North America but through out the world.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back