Sitka Pre Season Savings

Big Timber/ Thick country tactics?

I gree with Nameless range on the elk being near transition areas. I also know where there are a couple of places in NW Mt where bulls seem to bed up year after year post-rut, and they are in Lodge-pole blow down thickets. They love the seclusion and all the "alarms" around them. It's just not humanly possible to get in there to them and the bulls not know you're there. But when I still (slip) hunt for elk which is anytime they are not vocal, I try to hunt a cross wind. It's always worked for me and it's easier to adjust to getting down wind if I spot something. Game don't always go into the wind, if they did California would be full of animals.

Hilarious.

Not in my experience...elk are wayyy more predictable, way easier to find, less sensitive to movement and noise when still hunting them, move around a lot more during the day in the timber, etc. etc. All of which make them much easier than mature whitetails in the same type of country.

For the OP, Pagosa offered up some good advice about how elk behave in the timber.

I've had some great days of still hunting elk when its windy, snowing, or raining...you get away with more movement, and noise, which allows you to hunt a bit faster and still kill them pretty easily.

What season are you hunting? You need to talk to the 80% of hunters who go home elkless every year how easy it is.

What is the hard part of killing whitetails? I was doing it when I was 9 years old. I know you're going to tell me how spooky they are. Only when you spook them.

I never said elk hunting was hard. Neither is deer hunting. Now, still hunting for bear is a challenge and probably the hunt I enjoy the most.

I'm not trying to get in a pissing match because its hard to argue with experience. But, I always use binos when still hunting whitetail, and I'd probably do the same with elk. If my movement with binos catches their attention then I feel is should havr been moving less and glassing more. It alows me to see them before they see me. Unfortunately I'm not aleats that disciplined. Also, a good stalker/still hunter eventually understands when to go slow or fast.

It's your choice. I've tried both ways and settled on not using them. There's no right or wrong. Use what works for you.

We're surrounded by steep n deep timber with only a few small, grass parks around. The last 2 years' elk were taken still hunting the dark timber- bow in 2015, rifle in 2016. The binos have helped too.

Most elk I've killed have been in dark timber. It takes a special mindset, some have and some don't. It's hard to find elk in a mountain blanketed with lodgepole pine, but it helps to narrow down your options. First, security. Elk tend to spend more time away from busy trails and open roads and love to hole up behind a fortress of blowdown. It sucks, but there it is. Next, water. Focus where elk are a short step from water, and where north-slope shadows keep things lush and moist. It doesn't have to be more than a trickle. Then food. Look for timber with an open-enough canopy to produce browse, where elk can eat without going out into the open. Also smaller "low risk" feeding areas like avalanche chutes or meadows or even patches of blowdown where the sun gets in. Finally, think about the slope. Elk prefer to rest on little benches or little secluded flat spots. Elk are where you find them, but that helps narrow things down a bit. Then comes the hard part: closing in for the shot.

What season are you hunting?

I only hunt elk during a legal elk hunting season.

You need to talk to the 80% of hunters who go home elkless every year how easy it is.

Success rates are low, because people try to hunt elk without things like binoculars.

What is the hard part of killing whitetails?

Nothing really if you sit in on the edge of an alfalfa field, under a corn flinger, etc. But, hunting mature bucks, with no defined home range, on pressured public land, that never see an ag field their entire life, in the same places you hunt elk...that's a different story.

I know you're going to tell me how spooky they are. Only when you spook them.

Nope, they're just smarter over-all, less predictable, more wary, etc. etc.

I never said elk hunting was hard.

Not what you said above...with reference to my needing to talk to the 80% that don't kill an elk every year.

Neither is deer hunting.

Success rates aren't near 100% on deer either, although I agree that just killing A deer isn't that difficult, still hunting mature mountain whitetail bucks in NW Montana, different than just "deer hunting".

Now, still hunting for bear is a challenge and probably the hunt I enjoy the most.

Wouldn't know...only spot and stalk them.

So, are you going to follow me around like a little puppy and pick apart everything I say?

I come to forums to try and help those asking questions. I have no interest in getting in conflicts with guys like you.

I thought I'd try one more time to post here, but it's a lost cause. I can't deal with trolling know it alls.

Cya

Not at all...just answering your questions, you asked them, I answered...guess you don't care for the honest answers?

Last edited:
success rates are low because people try to hunt elk without binos? LOL WHAT!!!

I saw 7 elk last year during muzzleloader season. Success was low due to them being out in huge open fields and being able to see me from 600 yards away. And for 9 days, those 7 elk were all I seen during that time.

Hunting in the wind, As much as I hate wind, makes for excellent hunting. The high winds tend to drive the animals down off the mountains, into the lower valleys. In New Mexico we've taken some big deer and seen a ton of elk during high wind days.

Spot and stalk mostly for Colorado muzzy season for us. If there's no elk in that area, then there simply is no elk there. Do all the hiking you want. Our best results are being patient and looking for sign and waiting for something to come out eventually.

Having other hunters in the area most often is the cause of going home empty. Especially horseback hunters. They love to set up camp in the big open meadows where elk normally are! You know the saying... Don't crap where you eat!

Its always a good idea to leave your bino's at home, on the counter...only good for watching birds.

I would also highly recommend NEVER calling or having an elk call handy either...as per the advice of elkstalker. The added weight of those pesky calls is never worth the effort. Its impossible to ever stop a departing elk, get one to come out from behind something for a clear shot, or even call one closer with an elk call.

Also, don't hunt early in the morning or late in the evening...wouldn't want to have to pack a headlamp and elk activity is always lowest at those times. Plus, hiking in the dark, in the mountains, is super scary.

The BEST elk advise I have is get out of the TRUCK and WALK into the woods !!

Solid advise right there! The unit in CO I hunted last year the big thing was riding down the rode bugling at every pull off. I have done that at night before to try to locate a herd but prefer to be on my feet during daylight hours.

I took this bull

IMG_1651.jpg

About 5 minutes after taking this picture.

IMG_1650.JPG

And my step dad, this bull a few days prior, by using the same tactics I mentioned above. Of course, knowing elk were in there and having quiet fresh snow helped greatly.

IMG_1652.jpg

Lodgepole and fir thicket for us when snow on the ground. We try and find tracks and just go slow and patiently sometimes takes all day but when they start meandering around in the timber we go to a snails pace and try and catch them in their beds before they see us or windo us

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HappyClar
Back