Big News (well for me it is anyways...)

Congrats, having initials behind your name is something to be proud of.

Been doing water and waste water on the public side since school. Thinking of a change in pace to the manufacturing side of things. Don't really need my PE for that work, but it doesn't hurt.

In my last 20 yrs of civil & environmental experience, to find a small shop electrical PE that can design and is willing to do small jobs ($20k-50k design costs) are far and few between, similar to finding a one man structural guy that is willing to do small work. Just my 2 cents, but in your travels if you can gain the experience to design small scale wastewater, leachate collection, elec. utility and other electrical designs for Civil & Environmental firms you will have a niche small corner of the market. There are dang few electrical PE's out there who are willing to do this, and have the common sense to design something that can be built. Just wanted to throw that out there since it sounds like you are just starting out.

We had one guy we used all the time until he retired, then we were scrambling to find somebody else that wasn't a massive firm that charged outrageous ENR Top 500 prices.

Congrats on the test. Electrical certainly isn't the "easy" one.

You guys and you're test...

Not that any of mine were harder but for the geo stuff in WA you have a test right out of school, then 5 years later, you can become a licensed geologist, then 5 more year, you can apply to be either a hydrogeologist or an engineering geologist, then five more years after than you can apply for the other one. 15 years out of school before you finish with all the licensing tests. And like BF noted, they're always during hunting season.... boooo

If you think the test is bad, wait till you stamp/sign your life away for a multi-million or more, dollar project. ;) Not sleeping at night is way more exhausting than studying for a test, so don't F up. :)

Congrats on passing!

My experience was that the test was too easy, or maybe I was overly prepared. I took the Civil Construction, took me 2 hours (of the 4) to finish the afternoon section. The looks of shock and open mouths as I walked out the door were priceless. haha Been considering taking the Mining PE.

No doubt! :) I think architects and engineers should have a minimum of ten years on the construction side of the equation before they get to put those lines and specs on paper. :)

Same can be said for contractors. :eek: I love how contractors always bash engineers, yet they have far less liability, and are always the first to lay blame even if they F it up, and know they did. The excuse of "that's how it was designed/spec'd." yet they are always the first to point out how smart they are... which is it? :D

Congrats. The toughest test I ever took with the excpetion of the Engineering GRE. I remember people wheeling in carts full of books to take the test....I'm glad those days are over, and I'm sure you are too.

If you think the test is bad, wait till you stamp/sign your life away for a multi-million or more, dollar project. ;) Not sleeping at night is way more exhausting than studying for a test, so don't F up. :)

Congrats on passing!

My experience was that the test was too easy, or maybe I was overly prepared. I took the Civil Construction, took me 2 hours (of the 4) to finish the afternoon section. The looks of shock and open mouths as I walked out the door were priceless. haha Been considering taking the Mining PE.

Haha, Ya not sure I'm prepared for signing my first job....

I am a very fast test taker, so I also finished stupid early, but I get to a point where I just start doubting everything which usually doesn't help me in the end...

Congrats. The toughest test I ever took with the excpetion of the Engineering GRE. I remember people wheeling in carts full of books to take the test....I'm glad those days are over, and I'm sure you are too.

It looked like Civil had the biggest stack of books. They must of had 3' worth of books! I thought my bankers box was a lot of text!

Same can be said for contractors. :eek: I love how contractors always bash engineers, yet they have far less liability, and are always the first to lay blame even if they F it up, and know they did. The excuse of "that's how it was designed/spec'd." yet they are always the first to point out how smart they are... which is it? :D

I have found often it is a lack of communication that causes a lot of issues. Like the electrical deciding to do something a different way that causes an issue that he could not for see. A talk could have prevented rework there. Or a electrical routing exactly how the plans show, but there turns out to be something in the way, but they wanted to follow the plans exactly. A phone call could have solved that one without a change order as well...

My favorite excuse on why they shouldn't follow the plans: "well I didn't see that so I didn't bid it that way. So you should give me a change order because I missed it."

In my last 20 yrs of civil & environmental experience, to find a small shop electrical PE that can design and is willing to do small jobs ($20k-50k design costs) are far and few between, similar to finding a one man structural guy that is willing to do small work. Just my 2 cents, but in your travels if you can gain the experience to design small scale wastewater, leachate collection, elec. utility and other electrical designs for Civil & Environmental firms you will have a niche small corner of the market. There are dang few electrical PE's out there who are willing to do this, and have the common sense to design something that can be built. Just wanted to throw that out there since it sounds like you are just starting out.

We had one guy we used all the time until he retired, then we were scrambling to find somebody else that wasn't a massive firm that charged outrageous ENR Top 500 prices.

I've thought about this a little bit, but I'm not sure I'm cut out to do this yet. Not that I can't do they physical design, more that I'm not ready for the business side of things, getting clients, bookkeeping, etc.

But it has crossed my mind many times... For sure couldn't currently since I would be moonlighting in the same pool that my company operates which isn't good for staying employed...

Also, tonight me and the GF are celebrating. A couple nice fat sous vide ny strips are on the menu. Normally it would be back strap, but we like to get some beef for the christmas time and why not use it now. Also I bought the whole roast version, so it means they will probably be like a 2" thick steak!

The professional exam to be licensed after completing college is nerve
wracking.

Congratulations on your success.

that is awesome, congrats. my oldest son is in school now studying mechanical. he tells me about some of the problems they work on and it blows my mind how he figures some of that crap out.

Been doing water and waste water on the public side since school. Thinking of a change in pace to the manufacturing side of things. Don't really need my PE for that work, but it doesn't hurt.

I have a degree in environmental engineering. My focus was on environmental remediation for the start of my career. Superfund treatment system sites, landfill gas and leachate systems, railyard treatment systems, and I was on a hazardous response team for the company I worked for. Got tired of living out of a suitcase and switched to water/wastewater public work. Got certified and haven't looked back.

Here in Ohio, there is such a demand for operators, there is crazy money being offered to darn near entry level jobs. I saw one posted yesterday for a class 1 wastewater (lowest classification) operator with 3 years experience starting at $29 an hour with topout at $42. People with engineering or science degrees are in high demand because they can go through the certification process faster but will still take a minimum of 3 years to reach class 3. Ohio is also one of the toughest states to get certified in and also has laws in place that require operators on the clock. A class 3 plant MUST have an operator onsite 8 hours/day. It is a great field to stay close too and tends to be more stable than industrial type stuff. Once they get ya, they don't want to let you go because people like you are hard to find. Congrats on passing the test. It's a great feeling.

I got the unofficial results back and it looks like I am now a professional engineer!

It was one hell of a test that I didn't know if I would be able to pass, but apparently I did. This is something I have been striving to achieve since I got out of school and man does it feel good not to have to study for that test again!

I guess I will call it official when I get my license in the mail, but online I am listed as an active PE.

Anyways, I just wanted to share the good news with the rest of you.

Anyone else pass this go around?

CONGRATS!!! I think I will be taking the civil exam this Spring!

Congrats.
Engineers overthink.
Architects underthink.

Any rebuttals...I'm the hard head that chose the finger lifting in the family. Four members went the route of architecture.
But where would we be without the idea people?
All roles important.

Back