Big Horns and Medicine Bow Trout Flies

wistowy

A friend and I are heading to Wyoming and Colorado in August for some backpacking. I am a novice fly fisherman...have only used 2 different patterns(Adams and mosquito) in the 30+ years of trout fishing in Wisconsin. If you were to recommend 2 or 3 flies to carry would those be included? Is there something better. As I said I am a novice so "match the hatch" is foreign to me.

I LOVE a good black ant pattern for backcountry fly fishing. Terrestrial patterns in general should do well; ants, beetles, grasshopper patterns - lots of options. The stimulator is about as western fly fishing as they come.

Caddis and BWO are my favorites out in the Beartooths. I'm sure they'll work for you guys too.

A friend and I are heading to Wyoming and Colorado in August for some backpacking. I am a novice fly fisherman...have only used 2 different patterns(Adams and mosquito) in the 30+ years of trout fishing in Wisconsin. If you were to recommend 2 or 3 flies to carry would those be included? Is there something better. As I said I am a novice so "match the hatch" is foreign to me.
Stimulators and elk hair caddis will do the trick. Also, some foam hoppers are solid as well.

Those'll do. For backpacking I only bring a few flies so they are pretty general in nature. Adams, chubby chernobyl, ant patterns, etc in a couple different sizes. I also throw a small streamer in the box just in case. Don't really use it though. Foam terrestrials should be a good bet that time of year.

In my experience, I would definitely take an array of wet flies for the Snowy Range. I've fished a lot of lakes up there, and while the standard Elk Hair Caddis is a good standby, I often had my best days with a simple wet fly pattern such as a peacock hurl body and a partridge hackle. Also, some Muddler Minnows to fish along rock slides is a good idea.

In my experience, I would definitely take an array of wet flies for the Snowy Range. I've fished a lot of lakes up there, and while the standard Elk Hair Caddis is a good standby, I often had my best days with a simple wet fly pattern such as a peacock hurl body and a partridge hackle. Also, some Muddler Minnows to fish along rock slides is a good idea.
You will kick yourself if you don’t bring a selection of bead head soft hackles. Copper beads or gold, 14 & 16. My go to snowy range fly is as above but with blue Grouse hackles (male for bright days, female for darker days). Also have some standard bead head nymphs (pheasant tails, hares ears, prince, copper john) and Buggers

My typical high lake setup is a dry fly (caddis, parachute Adams or royal wulff ) with a bead head soft Hackle on the drop 18” below it.

Headed up to the snowy’s Tuesday. Might still be a mud pit after the recent snow, but I love it up there.

These guys are local here and I’ve been using them for years, as the prices are good enough where I can justify not tying them myself: www.discountflies.com

Copper beads or gold, 14 & 16.

Absolutely!

My go to snowy range fly is as above but with blue Grouse hackles (male for bright days, female for darker days).

I've never tied with grouse. Always Hungarian Partridge. I'll save a variety of grouse skins this year and give them a whirl. Thanks for the tip.

I think Medicine Bow trout, at least in the streams, aren't that picky. My most productive setup has always been a dropper rig with a caddis, parachute Adams, or similar dry fly on top and a small Copper John or similar wet fly below. On my Tenkara rod I just use any 12-16 dry fly.

I've never tied with grouse. Always Hungarian Partridge. I'll save a variety of grouse skins this year and give them a whirl. Thanks for the tip.
We don’t have Huns down here - Grouse are way less durable and not as many feathers in the 14-16 size range, but they look good in the water. think we may have a Trade arrangement on our hands this season! Will PM you this fall :)

We don’t have Huns down here - Grouse are way less durable and not as many feathers in the 14-16 size range, but they look good in the water. think we may have a Trade arrangement on our hands this season! Will PM you this fall :)

Absolutely. I throw away a couple dozen Hun skins every year. Want any chukar or pheasant?

I agree with above. But it does depend on how much water is flowing in the creek/river being fished. That time of year hoppers should be a great fly also.

Lakes or streams?
Lakes mostly....Encampment River a little.

A huge block of cheese thanks to everyone.....great information. Will be taking a some of the recommendations along with spinning gear. Look out trout!!! Been dreaming about this trip since high school...literally 😐

Great advice. You're not going to have picky trout, so I like to toss big bushy flies to them like Stimmies, Madam X, Turk's Trantula's for streams, as well as caddis & Adams (#12 & 14 para adams is always in order).

For more delicate presentations, have some #14 & 16 purple haze.

Mohair leeches & a variety of brown, black and white wooly buggers (conehead prefered) for lakes, stripped slowly or jigged off a deep dropoff.

Wet flies always are a good idea on lakes too. Love both of those ranges. It's been far too long since I've been there.

Lakes mostly....Encampment River a little.

A huge block of cheese thanks to everyone.....great information. Will be taking a some of the recommendations along with spinning gear. Look out trout!!! Been dreaming about this trip since high school...literally 😐

The Encampment River is one of my favorite rivers I've ever fished. Scenery, some solitude, some nice fish. I got checked up there by the Saratoga Game Warden 23 years ago. He's still there to my knowledge.

Hi all..just returned from our trip to Wyoming. I did well with #12 tan elkhair caddis and my go to Adams. My partner did better using gulp under a slip bobber. Brook trout taste much better in the mountains than from Wisconsin streams. Likely less cow p*** there..lol Did not make the Emcampment River, next years destination probably, or maybe in October if I tag out on deer early. Thanks again for all the help.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back