Big Horn National Park

I was just wondering if anyone on here has every done much hunting in the Big Horn National Forest in Wyoming? I'm not looking for any pointers or locations just curious on the type of hunting pressure you may have observed and were you hunting archery or rifle and what season. I'm going to be doing all my hunting by foot so wondered how the terrain was. I'm not set on this area just doing some home work on different areas of Wyoming and getting others opinions who may have been there.

I hunted deer in the Bighorns during rifle season. We stayed mostly toward the southern end. There was a pretty steady stream of people up there the entire week we were there. It's a beautiful area though and it's big so you can get away somewhat. It's big country. We saw deer, not a lot, but a fair amount.

Never hunted, but passed through for a night. Saw one moose. I guess I second the previous comment on space. There will probably be others, but the area is way big enough to let you escape other people and get some isolation.

You'll have to let me know how it goes. This is one of my personal bucket list areas. Not so much for the kill statistics, but for the geography. Such a nice looking place, I would be willing to compromise opportunity for harvest. You should enjoy the trip no matter what.

Yup, Big Fin did a great hunt with a friend and filmed it for the greatest conservation organization in the world. RMEF! That show is actually why I support the RMEF! Thanks again Randy!

Interested as well. Me and my wife spent a few days there last summer backpacking. Terrain outside the wilderness area wasn't to bad where we were at but it's a big area. Lots of four wheeler (not hunting season). I'm gonna build some points to hunt the early archery season.

We were on the east side.

Missed Randy's episode there some how??

I didn't have any certain unit picked out for sure yet just saw the area when studying maps and was trying to gain knowledge on terrain and pressure. My friend and I both have 4 PP so i'll have to look and see if that will get us onto a good unit in that area. I also have not yet decided if this will be a archery hunt or rifle hunt. I would assume during archery season it would be a little less crowded but not certain.

The units that have BigHorn NF land in them are 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, and 45. Units 38, 39, and 40 do not allow archery hunting on a Type 1 rifle tag and to hunt the month of September in those units you would have to draw a Type 9 A/O tag. Looking at the Regular PP Draw for 2015 you didn't have nearly enough PPs to draw the A/O tag in those units. Units 36, 37, and 41 might draw a tag next year with 4PPs, but it would be iffy unless you go into the Special Draw. The BigHorn units are getting very popular and it's taking more and more PPs to draw the tags in those units even in the Special, especially the September A/0 tags. I'm helping a friend in unit 45 on the A/0 tag he drew and it took 8PPs for 100% draw and 7PPs for a chance at a couple of the remaining tags. It's one of the top units, but it also allows Type 1 tag holders to buy an archery permit and hunt the last two weeks of September. We're going the first two weeks to avoid the crowds that buy those permits to hunt archery and then they can hunt the rifle season in October if they don't tag out. If you go down the draw odds stats on the G&F website you'll see just a couple tags you might draw in the Regular PP Draw, but I didn't take the time to check the Special Draw stats and if you want to pony up $1K your chances are generally better there.

Topgun 30-06,

That is some great information on those units that I was not aware of. I really appreciate the knowledge and help, maybe it would be better to explore some other areas for options requiring less PP also. I will look into the information you have given me and explore the options. Thanks again!!

have you checked out the cody region? lots of good cow hunting here and a pile of left over tags....

I drew the 41-1 any elk rifle tag (October 15 - November 5). I've never been to this unit. Let the fun begin!

I could use some info from folks familiar with the area.

I’m in decent shape and live at 6500 feet. I have a deer hunt in NM in September at 9-10K feet so will be in better shape by the time this hunt rolls around. I’ve been hunting elk and deer seriously for 20 years, so fairly experienced. I won’t be able to drive from NM to WY to scout before the hunt, but will probably be able to spend most of the hunt up there. I could probably get up there a few days before the start of the hunt if that makes sense.

I plan on dragging a camp trailer up for base camp. I plan to spend most nights in the camper and hunt from camp or drive to a place to hike in. I’m good for 6 or 8 miles each day (long term) or more if not every day or conditions warrant going light. I might do some overnights a few miles in on foot if the weather cooperates. The truck is 4WD, but big, so I won’t be doing any tight trails to get to a place to start hunting. I’m not interested in road hunting and want to get away from crowds (but not afraid to park on a busy road and climb over a ridge or two if that is what is needed.) I’d like a nice bull, but the hunt is more important than the rack. If the bulls do not cooperate, a cow is fine.

What I’m looking for info-wise is which part of the unit is good to use for a base of operations. Then I know where to focus map scouting before I come up. Looking at maps it looks like the eastern part of the unit near (but not in) the Cloud Peak Wilderness is my best bet. It looks like most of the rest of the unit is lower, and agricultural (and mostly private.)

From what I read it looks like non-residents like me need a guide in the wilderness (which is why I’m staying out of it.) I’m too cheap and stubborn to do the guide or private land trespass fee thing.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

How has the weather been in north central Wyoming this summer? Is water relevant when internet scouting this year? Is it ever for this area?

Down here in NM we have been abnormally wet (first year in a long time we have not had major fires.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back