'Big brood' of insects to emerge soon

Elkhunter

Look out, they will be here soon.

Noisy cicadas expected to return en masse to several states

The Associated Press
Updated: 10:21 a.m. ET March 12, 2004

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - After 17 years of relative quiet, Mother Nature is bringing the noise.

Periodical cicadas, a species of the grasshopper-like insects best known for the scratching, screeching “singing” of the males, will emerge this May, filling forests in more than a dozen states. Almost as abruptly as they arrive, they’ll disappear underground for another 17 years.
“Why do certain insects take only one year to develop, and others take two or three? It’s just part of their genetic programming,” said Greg Hoover, senior extension entomologist for Penn State University.

There are at least 13 broods of 17-year cicadas, plus another five broods that emerge every 13 years. The last to emerge, Brood IX, was seen last spring in parts of West Virginia, Virginia and North Carolina.

'Big Brood' coming
This year, it’s time for Brood X, the so-called “Big Brood,” to surface. Its range stretches from Georgia, west through Tennessee and to isolated pockets of Missouri, north along the Ohio Valley and into Michigan, and east into New Jersey and New York.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4513485

I guess I will miss that, it looks like it would be kinda fun to witness...If they belong to the grasshopper family, I wonder what they taste like!!!

Hmm,Grass hopper family :rolleyes: sounds like a big brood of trout bait
hump.gif
can we say "Fish On" :D :D

Hey Russ,, My stash of chocolate covered grasshoppers is running a bit low
drool.gif

Hunterman(Tony)

I remember the last time we had a big hatch of those locusts. The lakes were covered with them. It ruined fishing that summer because all the fish had way more than they could eat. ;)

Actually, they awoke here in Florida last year... it's really intereseting... they hybernate for several years and then all come out at once. I actually liked the sound at night.

Hey Hunterman,
Seventeen years ago when they last appeared, I used to catch them and throw them into the river. Most of the time they would not even hit the water. The fish would catch them in mid air. Small mouth bass and trout love them.
John

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back