NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Big Belt, Little Belt or Crazy Mountain Elk

Kyhunter42

We are planning a two week trip to MT for mulies and elk. We are going to hunt mulies at the CMR for the first part of the trip then swing through the western part of the state and hunt elk for the last 3 days or so. We have narrowed it down to three area: Big Belt, Little Belt, or Crazy Mountains. I would appriciate any info or input from anyone who has hunted these areas.

I'm far from an expert on these ranges, but have spent spent time in both the Little Belts and Crazies, and here's some of my opinions on them.

All three ranges have really good elk numbers, and pretty high success rates.

Pretty good trophy potential in the crazies, but the elk are either up in the really rough areas, or down on the private land. If you're a balls to the wall kind of guy, get up in the rough stuff, and you can do pretty good. Generally speaking you're going to have to really work for a bull in this area but it can be worth it.

Really good access in the Little Belts, and it's pretty easy country to hunt. It's also close to Helena and Great Falls and gets hit really hard. Because of having good access and getting hammered, not much of a chance of a big bull, really high success rates though on younger bulls.

Really don't know much about the Big belts, nothing's ever intrigued me too much about that area, except maybe the far northern end. I'm sure I'd hunt it if I lived in Helena, but don't think it'd be very high on my list if I was coming in from out of state.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. We don't mind climbing the mountain. Actually we prefer to hunt the rough stuff because most people won't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back