“Big 3” all from your home state

I've been lucky enough to take 3 goats (prior to them being OIL), bighorn ram, bighorn ewe, and bull moose here in Washington, I drew my first goat tag at 14 the first year I put in (1972), my ram tag in 2014 after 42 years of applications, and my moose tag in 2015 after 38 years of applications. Did I say I've been a little lucky? :)

I've been lucky enough to have taken at least one of each of Montana's Big 3 animals, all within 100 miles of my home, and all on DIY hunts, and most on solo hunts. I shot all of them over 30 years ago, and the way SW Montana has changed over that time period, I see no reason not to say what hunting units that I shot them in.

My first Big 3 animal was a Goat that I shot back when Units 326, 327, and 328 were all one unit. This was a DIY solo hunt in the middle of November of that year.
k9AypEpm.jpg
eo3kA88m.jpg

I shot my first Bighorn ram in Unit 500, also on a DIY solo hunt.
UE2F1aZm.jpg

I shot my next two Rams in Unit 302 back when it was an unlimited unit. Both of those hunts were also DIY solo hunts.
GIs2cU8m.jpg
WgGp4MYm.jpg

OpQv33il.jpg

I shot both of my Shiras moose in Unit 309. My first was a 50" bull that I shot on a DIY hunt with a friend that helped me pack him out.
sYhdaLTm.jpg
UMvO9EHm.jpg

My second moose was a 40" bull that I shot on a DIY solo hunt. My horses packed both bulls out.
ROLTJ3Em.jpg
O2Po0pkm.jpg

I've been lucky enough to have taken at least one of each of Montana's Big 3 animals, all within 100 miles of my home, and all on DIY hunts, and most on solo hunts. I shot all of them over 30 years ago, and the way SW Montana has changed over that time period, I see no reason not to say what hunting units that I shot them in.

My first Big 3 animal was a Goat that I shot back when Units 326, 327, and 328 were all one unit. This was a DIY solo hunt in the middle of November of that year.
k9AypEpm.jpg
eo3kA88m.jpg

UE2F1aZm.jpg

I shot my next two Rams in Unit 302 back when it was an unlimited unit. Both of those hunts were also DIY solo hunts.
GIs2cU8m.jpg
WgGp4MYm.jpg

OpQv33il.jpg

I shot both of my Shiras moose in Unit 309. My first was a 50" bull that I shot on a DIY hunt with a friend that helped me pack him out.
sYhdaLTm.jpg
UMvO9EHm.jpg

My second moose was a 40" bull that I shot on a DIY solo hunt. My horses packed both bulls out.
ROLTJ3Em.jpg
O2Po0pkm.jpg
You’re pretty much the guy I was excited to hear about on this. Knew you had a local collection from excellent hunts.

I drew an antelope doe tag in 2005. Since then, no luck! Moose sheep and goat are like looking to mars for vacation for me, yet I keep on trying.

You’re pretty much the guy I was excited to hear about on this. Knew you had a local collection from excellent hunts.
These are

k9AypEpm.jpg
eo3kA88m.jpg

UE2F1aZm.jpg

GIs2cU8m.jpg
WgGp4MYm.jpg

OpQv33il.jpg

sYhdaLTm.jpg
UMvO9EHm.jpg

ROLTJ3Em.jpg
O2Po0pkm.jpg

These are some of the best pics/story on this thread, primarily because three decades ago, my guess is there was a Pentax or Canon 35mm camera (yep kids, film!) with one lens slung around your neck, and it wasn't just as easy snapping away with a phone.
I remember processing those 35mm slides or prints, always nervous and excited as to what I would end up with. That is an impressive line up of MT big 3 successes.

I'm shooting for 3 species of elk from my home state. I think I can live long enough to draw them all... I've got the Tule, and I'm applying for Roosevelt next.

If Deer are your thing we have 6 subspecies of deer in state
0GtogDQ.png

But sadly we only have Desert Sheep. No Moose or Mountain Goats.

Locations-of-desert-bighorn-sheep-hunt-zones-anticipated-to-be-open-in-California-during.png
There are another form of sheep that are closely related to a rocky and that’s the Sierra Nevada bighorn only found in California but no permits are issued for them.

These are

These are some of the best pics/story on this thread, primarily because three decades ago, my guess is there was a Pentax or Canon 35mm camera (yep kids, film!) with one lens slung around your neck, and it wasn't just as easy snapping away with a phone.
I remember processing those 35mm slides or prints, always nervous and excited as to what I would end up with. That is an impressive line up of MT big 3 successes.
As did many other Vietnam Vets did, I came home with a couple of Nikon 35 mm cameras, a bunch of lenses, and the latest and greatest stereo equipment of that time. Most of the time that big camera was in my backpack, and yes, all of those field pictures were taken as slides that I had printed as pictures, then later I took pictures with my digital camera of my old slide pictures. That's why many of my old pictures aren't as clear or sharp as today's pictures straight from phones or digital cameras.

k9AypEpm.jpg
eo3kA88m.jpg

UE2F1aZm.jpg

GIs2cU8m.jpg
WgGp4MYm.jpg

OpQv33il.jpg

sYhdaLTm.jpg
UMvO9EHm.jpg

ROLTJ3Em.jpg
O2Po0pkm.jpg
I love the dog in the pics. Is it the same one in both the moose and ram pics?

I love the dog in the pics. Is it the same one in both the moose and ram pics?
Yes, that was Taffy, my 2nd Golden Retriever. Now I have Zoe II, my 5th Golden Retriever. I know that I have pictures with Buffy with at least 2 Antelope, and Zoe I with at least one Antelope and one Elk. For many years I didn't carry a camera with me hunting, and if I did it was a 35 mm camera with slide film that I haven't had transferred to the jpg format.

2F4886FD-DAEF-465E-8704-A437A056CA46.jpeg
Fair to say I (and my family) have been unbelievably lucky with draws in MT.
Able to finish the Big 3 this year, at 31yo..not too bad.
I want to know if anyone has done
2x big 3s? I want to make another round, but I think luck is starting to run out now. Next stop, Bison

View attachment 205255
Fair to say I (and my family) have been unbelievably lucky with draws in MT.
Able to finish the Big 3 this year, at 31yo..not too bad.
I want to know if anyone has done
2x big 3s? I want to make another round, but I think luck is starting to run out now. Next stop, Bison
That's impressive nice work.

My uncle has 2 big 3s coupled with 2 bison too, all MT.

He's also got 15 goat points, he doesn't apply for moose or sheep anymore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back