Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

BH209 question

nvhunter2

Ive been shooting a ML for a couple of years but have always used T7 pellets. I want to try BH209 this year but have a question. When loading with BH209 (or any loose powder for that matter) most guys are talking about loading with a certain load (say 90grs)...are you talking about 90grs by volumne? or by weight?

Any blackpowder or substitute is always mesured by volumne! You can measure by volumne and weigh this and convert to grains by weight to be more precise but I have found it never made a difference in group size.

yep, by volume. Every black powder measure I ever saw measured volume. I can't imagine some dude in a snowstorm fidgetting with a scale.

Just make sure you have the proper 209 primer holder style as shown in the BH website and instructions. If the primer is not fully captured you will have hang fires, slow fires, and duds. Found out last week that it is a must when I tried it in an older gun.

The Blackhorn 209 website has the load data. It is by black powder volume equivalent. The volume to weight information is there. I weigh my charges out and carry them in plastic vials. A 100 grain by volume is 70 grains by weight. For deer, I use an 80 grain by volume charge behind a 250 grain Barnes T-EZ bullet with a CCI 209M primer in my T/C Impact. For the close range shooting out here, I don't need a heavier load. I have never had a misfire or a hangfire in my Impact with BH209 and CCI209M.

Last edited:
i have heard a little about haveing the right primer holder. I have a TC Omega, only because im at work and can't look at it right now i'll ask....does it have the right primer holder?
Thanks guys...i always was pretty sure it was by volumne, just one of those things a guy likes to make sure of.

I have an Omega and it has the correct primer holder. I really like BH209, I am at 115 grains by volume using Barnes 250's.

They do not reccomend the special 209 primers as many use with 777, just std 209 primers.

I just picked up the Omega and am shooting BH209 with CCI 209 primers. So far so good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back