BH209 cleaning

nvhunter2

Just bought some BH209 and am anxious to try it, but i did notice that it said to use a oil based cleaning solvent, i dont remember if it specificly said NOT to use water as a cleaner. So...is the Hoppes solvent a good (right) cleaner? Or can i go ahead and use wet swabs to clean, and finish up with Bore Butter or something like that?

Just use standard smokeless cleaning agents.

Water won't cut it, not that it will hurt it, it just doesn't desolve the carbon.

People still use Bore Butter?

I dont know....really just getting into the whole ML thing the last couple of years. So if not BButter, then what should a guy be using?

Compared to Triple 7, cleaning after BH209 is a breeze. When I was shooting Triple 7, I had to swab the bore after every shot to keep the crud buildup down. With BH209, I clean after I'm finished shooting and I usually use Kano Kroil. There is very little fouling and most of it comes off with a swab. Since I've got a removable breech plug, I can inspect the bore while cleaning. I also want to make sure that there is no residue on the breech plug, threads or flash hole. I'm really pleased with BH209.

I'd use a light coat of gun oil, just swab, pop a cap and load up.

Why kind of muzz do you have? BH won't work with some types.

When I can, all I use is BH209...great powder. I clean the rifle like a regular centerfire rifle,summer and fall. Then once I'm finished for the season and want to store it, I'll break it down completely, clean with water, dry and oil like any other BP rifle.

I have been using CVA's barrel blaster foaming cleaner. It works well with BH209 for me. I do run a very lightly coated patch of breakfree after using.

I did notice that Montana Extreme makes a cleaning solvent designed especially for BH209, or so they say.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back