Better sights?

northwoodsPT

I drew a tag to muzzleloader hunt in colorado this fall.
I am shooting a CVA optima v2 with the stock fiber optic sights. blackhorn 209 powder with no excuse bullets 460 grain.

At 50 yards I can shoot a consistent group, but move out to 100 yards and the consistency drops dramatically. Seems as if the sight completely covers a 10 in plate at that distance making it though to hone your I groups in.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a different sight set up that is colorado legal that would allow an improved sight picture at that's distance? Also. Preferable something that is easy to install/ sight in.

Thanks!

I like ghost ring/peep sites with a flat topped post. Use the pumpkin on a post alignment. I'd look at Williams and XS offerings for your ML.

I like peeps as well. My dad started using them because he has an eye dominance problem and it really helped him out.

I like my Williams peep with a 6:00 hold. Love those no excuses too!

Man, what NR didn't draw a tag? We did not draw muzzle loader.
----
Good luck on your hunt, you have some excellent insight here.
What is happening at 75 yds? What bullets are you using? Guys might be able to give you some good feedback on the conical they use out of their guns that work well out to X yds with X load.

(I have an older T/C New Englander and keep my shots to 75yds.)

Thanks for the insight..
This may be a dumb question but...
Would you have to remove the current fiberoptic rear sight to install a Williams peep? Is that sight screwed into the barrel?
Also would you need a new front sight if you went with a peep ?

I am shooting the 460 grain no excuse bullet
80 gr of blackhorn 209
Cci magnum primers
Haven't tried shooting at 75.. The range I've been going to only has 25,50, and 100 yd stations.

I like ghost ring/peep sites with a flat topped post. Use the pumpkin on a post alignment. I'd look at Williams and XS offerings for your ML.

Exactly the right way to go!!!! Your aiming point is off the top of the sight, not covering the target with the front sight.

The front blade from XS sights is called a "white line partridge" (no partridge). The white line gives you a fine aiming point. This front blade is not so touchy with various lighting like a fiber optic is.

This is another option for the rear sight. I bought it for my CVA Optima. Only complaint is the peep is still kind of low when adjusted to the full up position. The cool thing is being able to mount a scope easily when doing load development, or hunting a state where a scope is legal.

http://www.eabco.com/store/iron-sig...sights-for-cva-optima-kodiak-wolf-and-accura/

Last edited:
I also put on the williams peep. I even ordered a smaller aperture that's great but I'm afraid too small for hunting.
Accura V2/110 gr Blackhorn/300 Thor shoots 1 1/2 @ 150 yards all day.

Thanks for the insight..
This may be a dumb question but...
Would you have to remove the current fiberoptic rear sight to install a Williams peep? Is that sight screwed into the barrel?
Also would you need a new front sight if you went with a peep ?
Yes, the rear siight will have to be removed. The sight will be attached using the scope base screw holes.

Anyone have any idea of the height of front sight to use with a cva optima?
Leaning towards then Williams peep but want to make sure I order the right size front "Patridge" sight!

I am shooting the 460 grain no excuse bullet
80 gr of blackhorn 209
Cci magnum primers
Haven't tried shooting at 75.. The range I've been going to only has 25,50, and 100 yd stations.

That seems like a really big bullet with really small powder charge. Is there some reason you are using such a "unique" setup? better groups than other options you have tried? Just curious.

Williams peep sight should help. Using 6 O clock hold on the bulls eye is a great deal to go with as well.
You can do it!
CVA Hawken .58cal with patched ball at 150 yards. 2 different groups.
IMG_2949_zpseec0cd55.jpg

IMG_2821_zps4a15f9d1.jpg

We went with that combination after some online resources and a few guys on here suggested 70-80 grains of the 209. They thought more powder made their groups less consistent. It seems like that combination will put that bullet into the center of a 10 in target at 100 yds , but it's hard to be consistent with the sight picture those stock fiberoptic sights give you . Anyone find any different charges that work well out of a cva with those bullets?

with that big of slug, you rarely will need a lot of powder behind it. BH209 is easily 20+ % more powerful than goex or pyrodex.

70gr BH209 sounds like a good starting point and where I would start off.

Back