Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Better CO Elk hunt: 1st Rifle or 2nd Rifle (non OTC unit)

matechakeric

curious which season would have less crowding from hunters and hikers.Trying to decide which one to apply for

Last edited:
Hard to say but that document should help you. First is better season dates (tail end of rut) and second is post rut, but second is also almost twice as long.

I did 1st 481 last year and bulls were fighting and bugling still.... nice weather

Since its non otc both are decent seasons. Depending on where you are in the state you may still have some rut action happening in 1st season.

That said I've hunted 1st and 2nd season multiple times and multiple times have had bulls screaming during both, so 🤷‍♂️

You can get freezing cold and dumped on with snow in both seasons.

Really just comes down to preference since it's a non otc.

Depends on unit and your knowledge of the area. First is only the 5 days and depending on your knowledge of the area can be a scramble, but still can produce some rut activity to assist. Second presents it’s own challenges, but can still can produce some good activity as those bulls that were rutting hard and bedded for a couple weeks post rut will have put weight back on and will start to be more mobile. That being said all things equal I’d take 1st if I knew the area and patterns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back