Caribou Gear Tarp

Best Way to Clean

Terry aka Coydog

I am going Turkey hunting for the first time this year. If I get lucky and everything else works out right, what is the best way to clean and handle the bird? May sound funny, but Im a big game hunter and only birds Ive shot have been grouse, chukars and quail which I just skin out the breasts and legs on. Any advice much appreciated.

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

Terry,

Carry a pair or two of latex gloves with you and after the kill cut around the anus opening and pull the entrails out the back.

make the opening large enough so you can reach in and pull the lungs and whatever remains out also.

This is a quick way to field dress them.

If it will be some time before you can work the bird up, place a baggie of ice inside the cavity and it will cool the bird from the inside out.

I normally keep all of the bird that is ediable, some just keep the breast.

I skin my turkeys .

If you wish to save only the breast lay the turkey on it's back and skin out the breast then remove it from the bird.

It's just like smaller fowl only a lot larger.
smile.gif

Oh, another thing is they smell really bad!!!!

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

QUITTERS NEVER WIN AND WINNERS NEVER QUIT
http://www.hunttalk.com

Chambo, Thanks for the infor.

I hope I get to find out how bad they smell.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I don't think anything coukld smell worse than a ruffed grouse.
biggrin.gif

------------------
coyote4.gif

Kirkl, going to hunt here near Wenatchee on private property my family shares. We had about 15 turkeyas hanging around ther in the fall. Dad and I agreed to cap harvest at 2 birds for this year so a person or two in our family will go unfilled. May go up to Stevens county for a weekend hunt ifn I don't get a bird here. You going? Have a good one.

------------------
coyote4.gif

Terry,
Unless you intend to do something with the pelt or the breast feathers, breasting one out is the fastest and simplest way. You can still breast one and save the breast feathers if you skin the bird first. As for the legs, some guys save them. I don't, they are full of some flat tendons that makes eating one a chore, although I saw someone mention that they have pressure cooked them and they were fine. Worth a try and it utilizes more of the bird. SR

Hey Coydog! MarvB here...used to see birds a few years back when I worked south of you up on Blewett Pass. Was kinda suprised on just how far up in the woods we would see them away from any agric. type areas but the buggers were definately there!

Good luck hunting- I've got one down and two to go yet this Spring here in NorCal. Haven't seen any big boomers as yet- lots of 6-8" beards but they're just now starting to split and sit down this way.

MarvB

I'm into skinning them myself, we'd do that with pheasant when I was a kid, and didn't shoot much of anything smaller. :D

As far a smell, go shoot a javelina, you'll think turkeys and grouse are perfumed. :rolleyes:

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back