Yeti GOBOX Collection

ND Turkey

Jamen

Winter here seemed to drag on forever. Several inches of snow last week and i was about ready to hang up the season before i even went out. The plan was to go with my old man but he ended up needing surgery last week so he was unable to go with. Surgery went well but walking distances right now wouldnt be in the cards. Out and about for work the last few weeks seen a few groups of birds but with tons of snow i wasnt excited. Finally got some decent weather snow pack went down and started seeing more birds.

Monday and Tuesday we seen one group that had 6 toms in it. I called the landowner and got permission. I reluctantly got up at 3:30 this morning to try and go get one. The two guys who work with me one is really into turkey hunting. He brought his decoys and calls because i have no clue what i am doing. We got there 1 hour before sunup and already heard birds all around us. We made our way to our spot and set up. He had the toms calling back to us for over an hour. But today they decided they didn't want to fly over the river to their usual spot. We stayed for awhile longer, watched a smaller group almost a mile away do their thing and we packed up.

Wind picked up and it started to sprinkle so was a good time to head back. A few hours later i got a picture of a group of birds down on some public land. I asked the guys if they wanted to go, and they did. So we loaded up quick and headed down there. With the general location in mind and me forgetting my muck boots i ventured off. Ankle high keens in knee deep snow wasnt the best idea. But with how bad the wind was blowing i had a really good idea where these birds would be. Sure enough as i popped over the hill there they were. One shot and it was over.

This wasn't your picture-perfect turkey hunt by calling them in but doing it on public land and being able to use my grandpa's double barrel 10 gauge i inherited made it well worth it. Never had a purpose to shoot that gun until now. All in all it was a good hunt!

Attachments

• 20230426_120258.jpg
    20230426_120258.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
Winter here seemed to drag on forever. Several inches of snow last week and i was about ready to hang up the season before i even went out. The plan was to go with my old man but he ended up needing surgery last week so he was unable to go with. Surgery went well but walking distances right now wouldnt be in the cards. Out and about for work the last few weeks seen a few groups of birds but with tons of snow i wasnt excited. Finally got some decent weather snow pack went down and started seeing more birds.

Monday and Tuesday we seen one group that had 6 toms in it. I called the landowner and got permission. I reluctantly got up at 3:30 this morning to try and go get one. The two guys who work with me one is really into turkey hunting. He brought his decoys and calls because i have no clue what i am doing. We got there 1 hour before sunup and already heard birds all around us. We made our way to our spot and set up. He had the toms calling back to us for over an hour. But today they decided they didn't want to fly over the river to their usual spot. We stayed for awhile longer, watched a smaller group almost a mile away do their thing and we packed up.

Wind picked up and it started to sprinkle so was a good time to head back. A few hours later i got a picture of a group of birds down on some public land. I asked the guys if they wanted to go, and they did. So we loaded up quick and headed down there. With the general location in mind and me forgetting my muck boots i ventured off. Ankle high keens in knee deep snow wasnt the best idea. But with how bad the wind was blowing i had a really good idea where these birds would be. Sure enough as i popped over the hill there they were. One shot and it was over.

This wasn't your picture-perfect turkey hunt by calling them in but doing it on public land and being able to use my grandpa's double barrel 10 gauge i inherited made it well worth it. Never had a purpose to shoot that gun until now. All in all it was a good hunt!
That's awesome! Congratulations.

Back