Best sector for 2023

Tough question. Sort of depends on whether you think we are in or headed for a recession. Does yield curve remain inverted or does the long end start to catch up? Does recession cause Fed to pause or reverse? Does unemployment increase? Generally I want to be tilted toward companies with strong free cash flow, but wary of the drivers of that for sectors like energy.

I saw that most predictions for S&P for YE 2023 were from 3200 to 4700. I figure we may hit both, who knows.

Tough question. Sort of depends on whether you think we are in or headed for a recession. Does yield curve remain inverted or does the long end start to catch up? Does recession cause Fed to pause or reverse? Does unemployment increase? Generally I want to be tilted toward companies with strong free cash flow, but wary of the drivers of that for sectors like energy.

I saw that most predictions for S&P for YE 2023 were from 3200 to 4700. I figure we may hit both, who knows.
I think the unknown of the upcoming year makes it fun to wage predictions. Going in to 2022, everyone saw the negative clouds on the horizon and it was a painful year for most. 2023 has some reasons for optimism and could be a good entry point for certain sectors.

I am going to continue to think that energy work’s especially the first half of the year. It is a little high as a whole but there are still opportunities available. I am optimistic that there is an opportunity for tech to rally in the second half of the year and like certain financials.

I am interested to see how the recession materializes, like you say there are lots of varying opinions right now.

I think the unknown of the upcoming year makes it fun to wage predictions. Going in to 2022, everyone saw the negative clouds on the horizon and it was a painful year for most. 2023 has some reasons for optimism and could be a good entry point for certain sectors.

I am going to continue to think that energy work’s especially the first half of the year. It is a little high as a whole but there are still opportunities available. I am optimistic that there is an opportunity for tech to rally in the second half of the year and like certain financials.

I am interested to see how the recession materializes, like you say there are lots of varying opinions right now.
The entry point is the price at the end of the day today. I guess I avoided making a prediction, so here goes. My initial thought is that interest rates normalize at higher levels. This will benefit Financials. BHR posting that news items just makes me feel better about it.

Didn't I read on here the other day that ones "news" hits the news it's already old news? Or something to the effect.

Sure seems like a good time to pick up tech stocks, which is what I'll continue to do, tech isn't going away. Based on the shortages, I'm leaning towards the semiconductor space more.

I’ve decided to grow up, stop chasing the dragon and average into AAPL with the bulk of my E*Trade. Dividends are lousy, ‘22 worst year since last recession, PE ratio is overvalued. Long term though none of this matters.
Just think of it, had I not been a dumb kid in 2013 and bought 100 shares for $1,500. Divvies notwithstanding we get 2014 7:1 split about $20 = $14k. 2020 4:1 split $125 = $350k. Mind blown.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back