Yeti GOBOX Collection

Best/safest way to carry a spotting scope when back packing.

NoTimeToLose

Hi. I was wondering how people carry their spotting scope when back packing and hunting. I just bought my first spotting scope, a Nikon pro staff 80mm with 20x62 eyepiece. I am not sure if it would be best to attach the eyepiece at home and carry the scope as a single unit, or pack the eyepiece separately in the styrofoam box that it came in and attach it only when I'm actually ready to do some spotting. Obviously I don't want to damage either one or get condensation in the lenses.

Although I have plenty of room in the pack's main compartment, I was planning on carrying the scope body in a side pocket on my pack, just for ease of access. The pocket seems to be fairly water resistant but probably not water proof. All the lenses have covers.

Thank you for your advice.

I would have it assembled and ready to go. Sometimes you'll want it out in a hurry.

Attachments

• rokslide 2.jpg
    rokslide 2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 723
I use a padded Kowa scope cover on my Swaro and carry it detached from the tripod in the interior of the MR Crew Cab or in one of the one pockets of a MR 6600. I would prefer to keep the scope attached to the tripod for quicker set up but it just doesn't fit well in the pack as a single unit and the quick detach mounting plate doesn't take that long to attach to the tripod. I've never taken a hard fall where I bumped the scope but feel its protected from most normal wear and tear. I keep the eye piece attached to the scope at all times, only taking it off on rare occasion at home. Just too many chances for dust and dirt to get on internal parts by removing the eye piece in the field. If you're worried about moisture on the scope, put it inside a lightweight dry bag. Whatever you do, I definitely recommend a decent padded scope cover for it and just leave the cover on at all times while using it in the field.

Assembled it will be.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. Since reading your responses, I plan on keeping the scope with the eye piece attached in a side pocket. The stand also fits in the pocket when it is attached to the scope, but the pocket won't close. I'll try packing the stand unattached to the scope first. If that proves inconvenient, I 'll get a dry sack and figure out a convenient way to carry them as a unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back