Caribou Gear Tarp

Best Release for Beginner Archery (Compound Bow)

Stephen A

I just bought my first compound bow and got everything set up on it, now all I have to do is buy a release.. Just looking for some advice from more experienced archers on what style of release they would recommend for a beginner!? From what I have read I know feel is important, but is there a style of release that you would recommend me stay away from at first?? If you have suggestions or tips to help me I would love to hear them.. God bless!!

I take it your planning on hunting with it?

Don't know what weather you can expect where you are.
Here in PA we can go from 70-80°f at start of season to 20° towards the end of season.

Hence being able to put gloves on is kinda important.

I have one that has a nice wide wrist strap, then the release part is held by another thinner strap.

Makes wearing gloves a non issue. Also i can tuck the release part up my sleeve to keep out of the way when using my climber.

I take it your planning on hunting with it?

Don't know what weather you can expect where you are.
Here in PA we can go from 70-80°f at start of season to 20° towards the end of season.

Hence being able to put gloves on is kinda important.

I have one that has a nice wide wrist strap, then the release part is held by another thinner strap.

Makes wearing gloves a non issue. Also i can tuck the release part up my sleeve to keep out of the way when using my climber.
Yes the goal is to hunt with it, but I know I have a long way to go before that. I will not hunt with it until I am 100% confident letting arrows fly at live game. Practicing with gloves on or off is something I would of never thought of, thank you for that.. What I have read I should stay away from the hinge release right? Just read it was for more advanced shooters. Would you say most beginners use wrist strap index release over the thumb release as well? Sorry I know my questions are elementary, I am pretty new into hunting in general but archery as you can tell I know little to nothing

This podcast episode gives a good overview of the advantages and disadvantages of various release types: https://hoyt.com/podcasts/choosing-the-perfect-release

For hunting, I would choose either an index finger or thumb trigger release. Hinge/back-tension and resistance-activated releases can be good for training and/or target shooting, but I personally wouldn't hunt with one (although some folks do). Index vs. thumb trigger is a matter of personal preference. I've hunted with both but have grown to prefer the solid handhold of a thumb release.

I'm old and had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands last year.
So my grip strength still isn't what it used to be.
Hence i like the ones that wrap around my wrist with the index finger trigger.
Although for some reason i like to use my middle finger on it. Just feels more natural to me.

All the releases i've ever had have been attached using velcro.
The one i've had & still use sometimes still holds fine after 35 years.

If hunting, one thing to watch is the size of your D loop!
When you get your release, nock an arrow & make sure you can clip your release easily.
I missed out on shooting a doe a few years ago because with an arrow nocked, i couldn't clip my release on after getting a new D loop put on.

This podcast episode gives a good overview of the advantages and disadvantages of various release types: https://hoyt.com/podcasts/choosing-the-perfect-release

For hunting, I would choose either an index finger or thumb trigger release. Hinge/back-tension and resistance-activated releases can be good for training and/or target shooting, but I personally wouldn't hunt with one (although some folks do). Index vs. thumb trigger is a matter of personal preference. I've hunted with both but have grown to prefer the solid handhold of a thumb release.
Thank you so much for the help.. As you know archery can be very expensive and I would love to go out and buy the best of every type of release and see which one I like, but in order to do that I would have to go take out a second mortgage lol. Can't wait to listen to the podcast!

Scott Itty bitty goose. Stay away from velcro, most places will let you shoot and try out a few.
Thanks for the help! When reading up the Scott Itty Bitty Goose had great reviews.. So the belt like strap is what you recommend? I am glad you said that about velcro straps, I tried one on at Academy Sports and didn't like the fact that velcro is what I was relying on for support when shooting a dangerous piece of equipment.

Buy a used Carter evolution off of nothing but releases Facebook group. You’ll learn how to execute a shot. A wrist strap release is the worst release you can have to learn with.

For hunting I like something with a wrist strap. That way you can’t knock it off your string when you are stomping through the woods and it’s less likely that you will leave it laying in the woods somewhere.

I have been using the Trufire hardcore max for the last few years. One feature i like about it is the ability to fold the actual release back and its out of the way and not dangling weather i am glassing or walking or taking a drink of cocoa. Its also nice in cold weather so the cold release is folded back towards my wrist and not touching my hands. Unsure how to explain this but i will try the best i can. the hardcore max has a hook like grabber that goes around your D loop vs the release that has two of them that clamp around the D loop if that makes sense. The sole reason i switched was i was sitting on the last day of the season -28 degrees i had my old release that clamped around the D loop in my mitten that had hand warmers in it. A nice 4x4 buck came walking in at 18 yards and when i pulled my hand out and went to put it on the string those 2 clamps that go around the D loop were frozen shut... must have been the moisture from the hand warmers and then hitting the -28 degree air. i sat there and tried to thaw it out but only had one hand free and failed. so i watched him for a good minute until he walked off. After that i switched to the hook like one.

Thanks for the help! When reading up the Scott Itty Bitty Goose had great reviews.. So the belt like strap is what you recommend? I am glad you said that about velcro straps, I tried one on at Academy Sports and didn't like the fact that velcro is what I was relying on for support when shooting a dangerous piece of equipment.
I recommend the buckle strap, quieter than velcro and puts more consistent tension around your wrist.

If you’re going to get an index finger one I’d highly recommend one that has trigger pull/tension adjustment

Start with an index style, I like Tru Ball and prefer an open hook style so I can attach to the D loop without looking.

I shot a Scott little goose for a long time, probably 20+ years. Had an itch and wanted to try a hook; switched to a Spott Hogg Hogfather 6-7 years ago which is a great option too.

I practice with a back tension, but don't hunt with them.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YakCountry
Back