Caribou Gear Tarp

Best Rangefinder???

thegamegtr

What rangefinder have you had the best luck with? I just bought a new Bushnell ARC and have not been impressed. My old beat up Bushnell give me more accurate, further and consistent readings. I would like one that will read out to 1000 yards (Not that I am going to shoot this far, but it allows me to know how much distance I have to cut in order to get within my effective range), give me both ballistic range and actual distance. Any advice would be appreciated!

what don't you like about the bushnell? was thinking about getting one of them

I have had a Swarovski Rangefinder for about 3 years. I stopped carrying binoculars after I got it. However, I have vision in only one eye so binoculars are somewhat pointless. It consistently ranges out to ridiculous distances. It has never failed me.

what don't you like about the bushnell? was thinking about getting one of them

It was very inconsistant. I purchased it for practicing my distance judging for 3D archery--up and down hill--It would give me multiple reading from the same distance. Grant it, they were only a yard or two different, but when trying to hit a quarter sized 11 ring at 27 yards it was not adequit. Also, I had my beat up twelve year old Bushnell that would give me reading out to 450-550 yards or so, and the new one would not. Maybe just got a bad one. Anyway, I am looking for a new one. Thanks

I've owned both a Bushnell and a Nikon, in my experience the Nikon was much better. Unfortunately my Nikon 800 went MIA somewhere in Colorado. I've used a Nikon 1200 also, it did read out to beyond 1,000 yds if you can hold it steady enough, the only downside compared to the model 800 was a noticeable increase in size. To replace my Nikon 800 I just ordered a Leupold RX1000i TBR (from Predator Optics here on Hunt Talk).

Leica all the way. My LRF will read out to 1200 on a good surface and clarity is amazing. I've had mine for going on 10 years now and I don't think they sell my model anymore but the new ones all have elevation adjustment built in...I want one but they're a bunch of $$$ and my old one is still awesome.

IMHO, Leica CRF 900. I bought one a few years ago and love it. The optics are so sharp that I often stow my binos and just use the rangefinder. It is very accurate, and will give the same yardage consistently. Say you range a tree at 512 yards, then range it again. It will be 512 yards. I'm not advocating for that long of a shot, but the consistency is very nice. It is pricey. I bought mine only because a sporting goods store had put a sale sticker on it. I took it to the counter, and when they wouldn't give me my 30% off as marked, asked the manager about it. He was a good sport and I walked away with a good deal.

I believe they make some that go out farther, but honestly, if a 900 meter rangefinder can't return a reading, you just need to hike more.

Back