Best Questions that people should ask an elk biologist

805Bowhunter

Going to call the biologist in the next week regarding upcoming archery elk hunt in Wyoming. Aside from the generic questions one typically asks a biologist regarding their hunt, what are some good questions that the average person doesn't think to ask a biologist?

I usually ask what ranches the elk tend to move into or are already on and hunt the perimeter the best I can or try to cut em off when they are heading that way. when hunting pressure is applied, give me a couple of canyons that they tend to head toward. where is the water source and food in those canyons?

Ask about the presence of sheep or cattle in the area. Ask about seasonal gate closures also. The biologists are more apt to answer candidly if they sense that you have done your homework.

Having been one of those biologists, I do not believe it is the biologist's responsibility to hunt for you. I never had to tell Randy, who talked to me every year before the application period in Wyoming ended, some of the stuff many hunters think was my responsibility. He wanted to know what was new that others might have overlooked, where had seasons been extended or changed, where was the expanded opportunity, and he had maps that identified access issues before he applied. Size of populations, access issues, potential landowner contacts, even possible locations to hunt are things biologists and game wardens will help you with. It is your responsibility to find the elk and hunt them. I was constantly amazed at how many hunters drew a license, knew nothing about the area they intended to hunt, and then believed it was someone else's responsibility to do the homework they should have done before applying. Sites like this help with the pre-application homework, and talking to biologists or game wardens help with some of the post-drawing homework, but the hunting is still up to the guy or gal with the license. All of us who have hunted the West for years went through our own learning curve, with success improving as we learned. That's why it's called hunting.

Always start by saying "I'm not looking for honey holes" as that seems to be quite popular when looking for info.

Kidding aside you are thinking ahead as it sounds like ^^ these folks get a lot of ridiculous requests. "Where was the biggest bull you have seen in the unit located?" "How many inches would you esitmate the horns to be?" "When did you last see that particular bull" "Where do you think that bull will be on opening morning?" "Can you let me know if you see that bull between now and season?" "Can you send me a pic of said bull?"

Don't be that guy.

I asked them what am I looking for, what are they keying into in this area. I got a lot of good responses to questions like that when I called a couple years ago.

Generally speaking I ask wardens about how animals have historically used a landscape and asked biologists about how animals interact with their environment. There is always overlap in knowledge but one group studies animals the other is out in the field monitoring what people are doing and how they are interacting with animals.

Biologist- How deep does snow have to get to move elk to lower elevations, what are the best food sources for elk, typically when do bulls separate from cows in the fall.
Warden - When do you start to see elk piling up on the XXX ranch, does elk creek drainage get a lot of pressure the first weekend, which outfitters are operating in X unit and do you know which basin's they hunt out of?

What areas in the unit are wintering areas and what areas are summer areas?
What is the predominant feed source (browse and grasses) in the unit?
Do the elk herds migrate? What will push them to new areas?
Any burns in the last 5 years?
Which wolf packs are in the area and what are the specifics on them?
Who is the rancher that has the grazing allotment? Is he a good operator?
Is there a timber harvest plan in the unit?
Do you relocate problem grizzlies in the unit? Have you depredated problem bears in the unit?
How late have you heard bulls bugling in the unit?
What do you think about the tag numbers given out for this unit? Too many or not enough?
How do you do your population estimates? When and how do you do your counts?
What do your Game wardens tell you about the unit?

What areas in the unit are wintering areas and what areas are summer areas?
What is the predominant feed source (browse and grasses) in the unit?
Do the elk herds migrate? What will push them to new areas?
Any burns in the last 5 years?
Which wolf packs are in the area and what are the specifics on them?
Who is the rancher that has the grazing allotment? Is he a good operator?
Is there a timber harvest plan in the unit?
Do you relocate problem grizzlies in the unit? Have you depredated problem bears in the unit?
How late have you heard bulls bugling in the unit?
What do you think about the tag numbers given out for this unit? Too many or not enough?
How do you do your population estimates? When and how do you do your counts?
What do your Game wardens tell you about the unit?

Those are all fine questions. But much of that info is readily available without calling the biologist.
#1, #4, #11 can all be found with a little looking, and the bio will appreciate it. #12, call the warden yourself.

Also, I strongly suggest waiting until the end of March to call anyone. Once you see the draft regs out mid-month, then feel free to call.

Last edited:
Going to call the biologist in the next week regarding upcoming archery elk hunt in Wyoming. Aside from the generic questions one typically asks a biologist regarding their hunt, what are some good questions that the average person doesn't think to ask a biologist?

I'll just add to this thread that your questions should also be specific to the person you are talking to. Keep in mind there are different agency biologists. The state fish and game agency will have a biologist (and probably an assistant) that covers a set of management units, while the land management agencies (USFS, BLM) will have bios at a district level (usually the land unit that you're looking at for a hunt). There will be overlap in knowledge, but each person has a different professional expertise, and you want to target your questions to take advantage of that.

State bios: population trends, seasonal ranges + habitats, male:female, number and distribution of hunters, etc.
Fed Agency bios: pressure, access, motorized uses, camping, distribution of animals, public:private interfaces, etc.

Hope that helps. Lots of content on the link provided above, but just remember to ask specific questions if you want specific answers.

This past season I looked into two different units I was planning on hunting. I called the biologists and game warden in both units. Something you might think to ask is about human pressure on the elk. I asked specifically where do you see the most pressure and access being made to a specific area I was looking at? Guides in the area? Where? How many? I asked all if they new contacts for packers in the area if needed. Is there livestock of any kind and where? Obviously road access and conditions. Any recent bear issues in the areas? Ask about any new fires or recent burn areas.

More than one of the people I made contact with talked to me for over 30 minutes.

Do make a list of specific questions before you call and check them off and make notes as you discuss each one. The conversations I had were the most help of any research I did.

In fact I asked some specific questions on here that I got no response to.....But a Biologist for the area got very specific and answered my question accurately as to what I saw once boots on the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back