Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best place to find a guide?

ecroofsalot

I want to start planning my 2021 archery elk hunt. It will be my 40th birthday present to myself. I’m leaning towards Wyoming as I’ll have 3 points and should be able to get a general tag. I like the idea of a back country hunt but I’m also not opposed to anything. I’ll have 3 points in CO as well which might put me in a zone with good private, not sure? I really want to see rutting bulls and have a decent shot at an opportunity. Oh I’m always in good shape and don’t give up easily. I just spent 6 hours fighting a foul hooked Bluefin haha. I did receive some help. I have a few years experience but haven’t been successful with my bow yet. Thanks for any suggestions!

Buy another point for Wyoming if you haven't already! On finding a guide, do your homework, search references and once you zero in of a couple of guides. If possible interview them at outdoor shows! All of the above I did when selecting a guide to hunt moose in BC. Now I have a friend for life And went back two years later with my son!

Buy another point for Wyoming if you haven't already! On finding a guide, do your homework, search references and once you zero in of a couple of guides. If possible interview them at outdoor shows! All of the above I did when selecting a guide to hunt moose in BC. Now I have a friend for life And went back two years later with my son!
Thanks that’s great info but besides google what sources did you use to start finding guides to narrow down

My biggest resource since I wanted to hunt moose in BC was the WSF, WILD SHEEP FOUNDATION‘s outfitters attendees list at the show in Reno. From that I searched there sites and zero’d in on three I wanted to interview. From there i knew I wanted to bring my meat home if successful. I selected a guide that I felt the best about and I could drive to. The best alive I can give is that you should be looking at least 1-2 years ahead, most guides are already booked. Keep us posted.

Ya that’s why I’m starting now for next year
My biggest resource since I wanted to hunt moose in BC was the WSF, WILD SHEEP FOUNDATION‘s outfitters attendees list at the show in Reno. From that I searched there sites and zero’d in on three I wanted to interview. From there i knew I wanted to bring my meat home if successful. I selected a guide that I felt the best about and I could drive to. The best alive I can give is that you should be looking at least 1-2 years ahead, most guides are already booked. Keep us posted.

His site says you need 10+ pts

2017... there has been some pt creep it's 13 to have a chance 14 to be guaranteed a tag.

Personally if your going guided I wouldn't waste my money on CO. Wyoming doesn't allow NR -unguided hunters in Wilderness areas, so best bang for your buck with 3pts will be a general WY tag and an outfitter who hunts wilderness areas in those units.

If your going guided hunt somewhere that you could never hunt by yourself.

@belshawelk in CO outfitters are assigned compartments on public lands, they can't guide outside those areas. So while that maybe an excellent guiding operation only folks with a pile of points can hunt with them... 25 points for 1st season.

If you're going guided, you may also at least consider applying in New Mexico, because New Mexico rewards people who hunt with guides by allocating more tags to them than the random NR draw.

If you want guided go to NM or do a wilderness hunt in wy(thorofare), CO private maybe. As far finding guide you have to know where your going first...welcome to HT, a site for Diy hunters

I’d have to agree with a couple of the comments above. Buy another point in Wyoming, grab a general tag next year and hunt wilderness. Another place to look is in the back of The Bugle magazine. You get it monthly when you become a member. Hint, hint.

I would get a Wyoming general and book a hunt in Thorofare. You can check WYOGA website for outfitters.

I would go Wyoming general. Book a hunt in Thorofare. You can check WYOGA website for outfitters.

I’d have to agree with a couple of the comments above. Buy another point in Wyoming, grab a general tag next year and hunt wilderness. Another place to look is in the back of The Bugle magazine. You get it monthly when you become a member. Hint, hint.
I’m actually in the process of that right now

If you want guided go to NM or do a wilderness hunt in wy(thorofare), CO private maybe. As far finding guide you have to know where your going first...welcome to HT, a site for Diy hunters
I hunt DIY but for my 40th, Im treating myself to something nice. I'm leaning towards WY. thanks

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back