Caribou Gear

Best Muzzleloader for the money

Rooster52

Had an old friend asked me how much should he figure on spending to get an good accurate muzzleloader.
My reply was the only difference between a $600 muzzleloader and a $150 muzzleloader was $450
I have a CVA wolf that shoots1.5 - 2 inch groups with 295 powerbelts and 95 grains of Blackhorn 209 at 100 yards ,as long as I do my part. Paid $149 for it on sale with a 3-9x40 Konus scope.
Can't beat it for the money.

Last edited:
I have a CVA wolf too and it really is a quality reasonably priced muzzle-loader. No bells and whistles but it shoots straight. I've shot some top-end stuff and there is definitely a difference but you have to pay for it.

Years ago, I bought a Thompson Thunderhawk at the Cabelas bargain cave. I paid $98 for it and it has put hundreds of pounds of deer meat in the freezer. I just wish that I would have bought the other one that they had!

I had a Thunderhawk that came with a "Rynite stock from Bell & Carlson"
It loved the Hornady Great Plains bullets in 385 grains over 90 grains of Pyrodex.
It was probably the original "inline" , but as hype would have it ....I needed the Omega.
That Thunderhawk was given to a young boy who had saved up his money to buy a black powder gun but spent it to go on a missions trip with his father to Argentina.
Needless to say I gave it to him for free for putting people 1st and doing God`s work.
I would trade him now for an Omega if it made him happy, although my Omega does shoot full bore slugs very well.
The sabot game really gives me fits............10Dogs

I bought a CVA Accura from an old neighbor years ago to have those new fangled fiberoptic sights since I had always hunted with my percussion cap rifle. I love that rifle and it shoots well and I use it for Colorado with open sights. I bought a TC Omega from a former HTer and put a scope on it to hunt in other places and I really like that rifle too. I liked the price point of the CVA Wolf for a beginner rifle for my wife since it had good reviews and I liked the screw out breech and nice recoil pad. She is very happy with the rifle and shoots it well.

I had a Thunderhawk that came with a "Rynite stock from Bell & Carlson"
It loved the Hornady Great Plains bullets in 385 grains over 90 grains of Pyrodex.
It was probably the original "inline" , but as hype would have it ....I needed the Omega.
That Thunderhawk was given to a young boy who had saved up his money to buy a black powder gun but spent it to go on a missions trip with his father to Argentina.
Needless to say I gave it to him for free for putting people 1st and doing God`s work.
I would trade him now for an Omega if it made him happy, although my Omega does shoot full bore slugs very well.
The sabot game really gives me fits............10Dogs

Try some Hornady FPB bullets. They are full-bore and shoot great in my gun. They never stay in an animal and would be awesome for elk, I am sure. They are built on the same concept as the Minnie ball for muskets, only they are modern.

John....What is your bullet and powder choice for Colorado? I'll be on a cow elk muzzle hunt in the fall of '16.

thanks...Jeff

100 grains of Hodgens Triple 7 granulated powder and a 295 grain copper plated hollow point Powerbelt. I know Powerbelts aren't popular on here, but I've killed everything I've shot with them and they meet the bullet requirements for Colorado.

With muzzleloaders, you get what you pay for in terms quality construction, IMO. It's not hard to make a rifle go bang, especially when all you want is 3 inch groups... cheaper rifles work no doubt, and if you're not sure if you plan to really get into it, save your money and get something that functions and call it good. If it's something you plan to get into, spend the money on a quality rifle, because you'll soon want one.

Cheaper rifles tend to have rougher barrels (suck to clean and will foul and rust easier), really crappy triggers (the upper end rifles have triggers that are better than most production centerfire rifles) , sloppy actions (get blowback, and loss of accuracy), a POS ramrod, and flimsy sights.

For CO, you have to shoot full bore projectiles, as you know. Some rifles have a counter sunk bore for easier loading of sabots... these tend to not shoot full bore conical very well but the non countersunk barrels tend to shoot both well.

My preference is No Excuses bullets, Pyrodex, 777 or 209 powder. The heavier the bullet the less powder you really need, you reach diminishing returns as the projectile weight increases. I shoot 80-90 gr with 495gr bullets.

Powerbelts are great deer bullets. They rarely exit a deer in 50 cal (out of about a dozen I've shot with them, 295gr) they rarely make it through the chest cavity, they do pancake the deer and tent to shoot really well.

I played with a Wolf this fall, decent and very functional rifle. I prefered the feel of my Knights to it however.

Good luck and have fun. Be prepared to get addicted :D

100 grains of Hodgens Triple 7 granulated powder and a 295 grain copper plated hollow point Powerbelt. I know Powerbelts aren't popular on here, but I've killed everything I've shot with them and they meet the bullet requirements for Colorado.

We have taken 4 bull elk and dozens of deer with Powerbelt bullets. Never had a problem. Load easy and accurate. 295 for deer and 348 for the elk.

CVA Optima Pro, 45 Caliber, 195g Powerbelts and 100g of 777. 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Total investment was $200. You answer was correct.

i use a t/c northwest explorer that is made specifically for states like idaho,oregon wash,co.. it fits all the criteria they require. taken down plenty of elk and deer with 90 grains pyrodex and 295 power belt. i also use a 54 cal knight rifle with same load but switched to musket cap nipple for more fire.

I have a traditions pursuit and this year I bought a CVA Accura LR.

There is a world of difference in the two.

The Accura is easy to clean, shoots amazing, and is just a great gun.

With bullets, I dislike the cheaper powerbelts. I have a dirt pile that I shot rounds into to site in and practice. I was disappointed with the powerbelt bullets (they were the cheaper ones) because they pretty much disintegrated upon impact with the dirt pile.Other bullets hornady, barnes, nosler, and thor all mushroom outed nicely.I have heard good things about the higher end powerbelts, but I would avoid the lower end ones.

I found the best load for the Accura LR was 110 grains of Blackhorn 209, Fiocchi #616 209 primers, and 290 gr Barnes TMZ Spit-Fire.

I have a traditions pursuit and this year I bought a CVA Accura LR.

There is a world of difference in the two.

The Accura is easy to clean, shoots amazing, and is just a great gun.

With bullets, I dislike the cheaper powerbelts. I have a dirt pile that I shot rounds into to site in and practice. I was disappointed with the powerbelt bullets (they were the cheaper ones) because they pretty much disintegrated upon impact with the dirt pile.Other bullets hornady, barnes, nosler, and thor all mushroom outed nicely.I have heard good things about the higher end powerbelts, but I would avoid the lower end ones.

I found the best load for the Accura LR was 110 grains of Blackhorn 209, Fiocchi #616 209 primers, and 290 gr Barnes TMZ Spit-Fire.

Barnes MZ has a great rep. I have seen powerbelts perform poorly on deer. I had some heavy, flat-nosed solids for my .54 years ago and they were awesome, but the idiots quit making them. They were 450 grainers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back