Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Best inflatable sleeping pad?

SilverDollars

Howdy. I'm looking for the best inflatable sleeping pad I can find. What is the most durable, bulletproof(resists leaks), repairs leaks easily in the field, light weight, sleeping pad do you know of or have? Tell me about it. Thanks!
P.S. I have one but it is SO NOISY that it wakes me up every time I move in my sleep.

Last edited:
Howdy. I'm looking for the best inflatable sleeping pad I can find. What is the most durable, bulletproof(resists leaks), repairs leaks easily in the field, light weight, sleeping pad do you know of or have? Tell me about it. Thanks!
I have the BA Q-core and the Thermarest NeoAirXtherm.

BA is more durable and more comfortable, thermarest is lighter and warmer.

So far both have survived several years and maybe 40-ish nights maybe a dozen each with a corgi running around in the tent.

I take the Thermarest for late season, and/or backpack trips where weight is a big concern. The rest of the time I go with the BA.

Couple thoughts:
-Pads that come with an inflator bag are awesome, faster to inflate and you're not putting moisture in your pad.

-Definitely go insulated for hunting.

-With a inflatable pad, a ground cloth or a closed cell foam pad like @AlaskaHunter is using are a must.

-I'd look at BA, Thermarest and Exped

Just something to know, a big gash in a pad is actually fairly easy to deal with as are holes around the size of a nail... but those are fairly rare, more like you will get a pin prick which will make your pad leak out slowly, going from fully inflated to your back on the ground in 2ish hours.

It's almost impossible to fix the pin holes in the field, mostly because you can't find them. Virtually the only way to deal with them is to inflate your pad, put some dish soap on it and slowly get various portions of it wet. You with either see bubbles or hear a sound. It's pretty painstaking.

I have had a bunch. Overall I've had the best luck with Thermarest NeoAir's in general. The Xtherm is high end, I used an XLite for summer stuff. The Trekker was a good value but they don't make it anymore. I have a Static V and it's fine. I had a BA insulated air core and it it did not last, but maybe that was bad luck. I wore out an Exped UL synmat, it was good and while it did eventually wear out I had a huge number of nights on it.
Ultimately there are some tradeoffs between weight, R value, and durability. All you can do is pick a point on that continuum that makes sense for you and take your shot. If I had to have one pad it'd probably be the NeoAir XTherm, XLite if not going below the teens. My two cents.

I have the Exped Synmat HL (hyper-light?) XL. It's kind of loud, like the one you don't like, so I wouldn't recommend it. I like it because it's lightweight, big, and comfy, but it is not for cold weather. And the latest version comes with an inflator bag, which keeps moisture out, like wllm said.

-With a inflatable pad, a ground cloth or a closed cell foam pad like @AlaskaHunter is using are a must.
Are you talking about sleeping on the ground (outside a tent)?

I have the Exped Synmat HL (hyper-light?) XL. It's kind of loud, like the one you don't like, so I wouldn't recommend it. I like it because it's lightweight, big, and comfy, but it is not for cold weather. And the latest version comes with an inflator bag, which keeps moisture out, like wllm said.

Yep, basically just saying putting the pad straight on the dirt is risky…

I sleep on the ground inside a hot tipi. I also use a ground cover under the pad and bag.

I take two pads. Klymit Insulated Static V with a NEMO Switchback foam pad underneath it. Lots of pros to this setup. R is over 6, combined it costs less than many of the others mentioned, I use the foam pad to sit or lay on when I am outside the tent and the foam underneath the Klymit makes sure it doesn't pop on a random stick or rock.

I am also a side sleeper so the thickness of the 2 together works well.

Generally the lighter the pad the lower the R value. So what’s your minimum R value?

I have a neo-air for early seasons but it’s loud. I would like to get an Exped downmat HL UL for later seasons.

Nemo has some pads that might be worth a look.

I have some others but they are not light. Nemo Cosmo is very comfortable but not light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back