Best Hunting TV Shows?

That bear episode was the best 30 minute hunting show I’ve ever seen. Him and Randy’s shows are top notch.

Are we talking about the bear episode where he didn't get a bear while hunting in SW MT?...Meh... Maybe a cameraman should follow me around. That's how my hunts usually go. :cool: I do love his show though. I wish they'd put more seasons on Netflix. That's the only way that I can see it.

That show was light years more worthy of viewing and listening to than any Cam Hanes and pals beast mode bait hunt after arm curls, or Ralph and Vicky getting all gitty in the blind after zipping a bolt through a fat bear on a sugar high. Also, way more to watch (for me) than Jim Shockey sharing bone broth with natives in Crackofassistan before sniping a rare trophy mongolian spiral horn dik-dik. Funny that I think that, as he not only didn't get a bear, he didn't see or film one. That is hunting.

That show was light years more worthy of viewing and listening to than any Cam Hanes and pals beast mode bait hunt after arm curls, or Ralph and Vicky getting all gitty in the blind after zipping a bolt through a fat bear on a sugar high. Also, way more to watch (for me) than Jim Shockey sharing bone broth with natives in Crackofassistan before sniping a rare trophy mongolian spiral horn dik-dik. Funny that I think that, as he not only didn't get a bear, he didn't see or film one. That is hunting.

I agree with you. Meateater and Fresh Tracks are the only hunting shows that I watch. Most everything else is garbage. The bear episode was just not one of my favorite Meateater shows.

Nice new avatar by the way.

I think we all agree on the top two shows as I see them come up the most (Randy and Steven Rinella) but one show I don't think gets enough credit is Into High Country. Jason is a fairly reserved, honest hunter who does things the right way. Most of his hunts are western big game on public land (I've seen a couple of deer hunts that weren't...no biggie) and he shares many of the same sponsorships as Mr. Newberg. If you haven't seen it check it out!

I've really enjoyed this show too, the filming is so beautiful! He just needs someone to edit the monologues for him, a bit. Maybe it's just the ex-teacher in me...

Fresh Tracks, Meateater, and I like SoloHunter... unless there is something I'm missing there but those guys seem to do public land justice. I will admit I tried to film my own hunt once... not good I'll give them props just from a level of difficulty stand point.

Solo Hunter is available 24/7 on Youtube which if you have internet you can get. All the shows hunting private land at exorbitant prices are fluff. Even the guys filming their hunts can't afford to hunt there. They all get comped.

Fresh Tracks, Meateater, and SoloHunter are my favorites. I dont have cable or satellite so I have to watch them on Netflix. I wish more were on Netflix and Amazon prime.

I can't stand the shows but if you guys out west think it's a piece of cake to grow deer in Iowa you are missing a lot of the work that goes into it. The amount of time, energy, money, selective harvest, etc. that it takes to get a 150" deer to a 190" deer is just as much dedication as any kind of hunting, if not more and the number of 12 hour days in a tree stand (below zero to 100 degree temps etc.) that we spend would drive most of you guys so restless you would never see anything of value. So while the shows may suck, and most of the idiots producing them are a bunch of tools, don't knock the hunting style. We're all on the same team, we just happen to live in different places. Cheers.

Last edited:
I agree that all those shows with guys shooting farm grown deer out of a food plot really suck.
The big difference is that when hunting wild deer "out west" you may never find that 190 inch deer you're looking for. When you're farming your deer you know it's just a matter of time before you grow them to fit your specs.

deer-herd.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that all those shows with guys shooting farm grown deer out of a food plot really suck.
The big difference is that when hunting wild deer "out west" you may never find that 190 inch deer you're looking for. When you're farming your deer you know it's just a matter of time before you grow them to fit your specs.

View attachment 82967

I didn't know you had ever hunted in Iowa or the Midwest.

The thing is, very few people actually have access to large managed properties with the option of putting in box blinds, food plots, etc. Most guys are hunting small parcels of private or public land, and may put in 100 hours or more on stand before even seeing a 3 year old deer. The representations on TV are nothing like reality for most folks.

Speaking of midwest whitetail hunting, I'm really enjoying The Hunting Public. These guys are hunting public land in states that don't have a lot of public land and they also hunt some small private land parcels. Really all the ways we may find ourselves hunting in middle America. They hunt from stands, on the ground, in a freaking ghillie suit. And they hunt some really crowded areas as well. They don't appear to have a lot of money to burn on equipment (no $$$ optics, camping gear, and packs) which is a nice change of pace.

I mean, I want to get out west for a week every year but realistically I'm going to be hunting like these guys 90% of the time.

Numerous hunt shows are available on amazon prime and Netflix. Watched every Meat Eater, Fresh Tracks episode they have. I'm binge watching Solo Hunter right now. Canned hunt shows are, well, canned - they are terrible.

I love the meat eater show and Fresh Tracks, I am in the middle of my second watch through. Solo Hunter and Ridge Reaper are pretty awesome shows. Also KUIU has done some badass sheep hunts. I also have downloaded all of the podcasts for both shows and I am listening to them on my two hour commutes.

Fresh tracks, Meateater, Western Hunter, Jim Shockey's Uncharted, The Hunting Public, Chasing November by Midwest Whitetails, Jason Matzinger, Fowled Reality

Sadly I suspect Deadliest Catch probably get more TV interest than the other hunting programs on Outdoor channel.

Seems like most of the reality shows like Yukon men, live below zero, ALF, etc are probably the most popular programs that feature hunting.

Most of the new streaming services do not even offer most of the hunting channels anymore. I watch a few videos on You Tube for the most part. I enjoy the iHuntFit videos.

Carson Wentz has a new show on outdoor channel online or digital or whatever. I hope it's good since he is a high profile athlete who is liked by the general public and media. Could be good for hunting culture, especially if someone can educate him on public lands (if he isn't woke to public land already).

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back