Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Best house siding??

My grandfather only would use brick as hated the idea of painting an entire home every few years. Everyone of the 12 homes he built from 1950-1974 are still being used. I have stucco over cinder block on the retirement place in the SW desert region. If was building in your area then would go with the LP product and likely with the baked on paint. Be sure to seal the ends of the LP stuff if make a cut. Anywhere moisture can sit on exposed LP is a risk point for failure. I like that can use a nail gun with LP. Sorry to hear about the flashing issue. You can't watch a contractor every minute and my advice is go with someone that has the highest reputation with a lot of installations spanning over a decade even if are paying 25% more for the project. Low bids are typically low for a reason and might be they cut a lot of corners you can't see until the leak happens.

Interesting timing to see this come up as I've thought about siding a bit in the past month with some recent roof/siding repairs I've had done on my place.

I have 1994 vinyl siding on my current home, and was looking at re-siding with either vinyl or hardie board.

Wondering on a DIY type project, is one better than the other? Tossing around the idea of doing the work myself or at least deciding on stepping into the project myself. I am handy around the house and young and work a 4/4 schedule so time shouldn't be too horrible. Just trying to do some math on whether I can handle the project on my own and the costs involved/savings for DIY/risk for quality of job/etc

Last edited:
New Cedar Ridge Siding, the actual brand, is a lot better at protecting and insulating. It's a great product but only a few companies sell it. I know in houston home windows houston and conservation construction of houston sell it, but the Cedar Ridge Siding website has contracted people they use to sell their product. I decided to go with it because it has the same look as cedar ridge, but it's a composite so it's a lot more durable. It's also made my house a lot quieter.

Siding

I would put steel on. Yea its a little spendy but you will never have to paint it.
yeah you do. at least you do if you want it to stay looking good. steel fades same as all others.
of coarse it your 50 plus ,one could probly let it go till they die and let whoever inherits, deal with it.

I got vinyl siding from conservation construction of dallas. They are near my area. So far the vinyl siding has been phenomenal. I think they engineered this product differently now than they used to . I would recommend the vinyl siding I am not sure others would agree.

LP Smartside is what we put on ours last summer. Comes prefinished if you'd like. Which I recommend. It's not cheap but quality never is.

Any warranty on pre-finished Smartside? Too bad you weren't in Montana. Could throw ya a OYOA member price. mtmuley
It has a 50 year pro-rated warranty.

It's great stuff. you can paint it if you want to change colors in the future. I built a shed after we sided the house. I bought Smartside for it as well. It was primered but not painted. Due to the small quantity I needed for a shed, it was much more economical to get the primed but not painted. I bought paint that matched the house and it was a perfect match and went on easy.

Reactions: JCS
We also had the same problem with siding in our previous house that we rented. So, that's why when we decided to buy the own one I came up very picky about choosing a new home in terms of material used for construction. We reviewed many objects on https://houseseek.com.au/wollongong/ and when we went to watch live at home our foreman advised us to select the one with siding of the LP smart side because and it is a much more reliable and high-quality material than the Hardy. We are living in it for 6 years here and there are no problems at all.

Last edited:
We also had the same problem with siding in our previous house that we rented. So, that's why when we decided to buy the own one I came up very picky about choosing a new home in terms of material used for construction. We reviewed many objects on https://houseseek.com.au/wollongong/ and when we went to watch live at home our foreman advised us to select the one with siding of the LP smart side because and it is a much more reliable and high-quality material than the Hardy. We are living in it for 6 years here and there are no problems at all.
Thanks for sharing

To me nothing is gonna beat Hardie board siding for durability unless you go with brick.

Last edited:
I would go Vinyl, keep in mind vinyl comes in different thickness and cap be paper thing or can be thick and hold up well.

The resurrection quotient of this thread is off the charts

A lot of the necro posts like that are spam. It appears #49 and #50 are both spam based on their post history. Same with the two latest posts on this thread:

A lot of the necro posts like that are spam. It appears #49 and #50 are both spam based on their post history. Same with the two latest posts on this thread:
Good call, I honestly wouldn't have noticed it, pretty discrete.

Good call, I honestly wouldn't have noticed it, pretty discrete.

The post being edited to include a random link is part of it as well. Hopefully nobody is clicking on those. Interestingly, both users in this thread and one of the users in the dog thread all joined the forum on April 4, 2020. Maybe @Big Fin can tell us where their IP addresses are from.

It appears #49 and #50 are both spam based on their post history.
Poster of #49 has already moved on apparently. #50 is still active, mostly engaging with non-hunting related content. Very suspicious.

The forum software apparently adds rel="nofollow" on post links so they're not getting any search engine love at least.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back