Best Handgun Holster For Bear Country

joelweb

I picked up a Kimber 1911 Camp Guard in 10mm and could use some recommendations for a holster. I carry bear spray, but there are times when I also want a handgun, such as when I'm packing elk quarters or if I'm looking to shoot a black bear with my bow. I'll generally carry it when wearing a backpack and a FHF bino harness. I know that eliminates some of my options and I'm curious if folks have any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

joelweb: My brother makes custom holsters, and has done numerous for me. He made me chest holsters for my Ruger Super Redhawk, and a carry holster for my Ruger Alaskan.
Check him out at http://www.burdettecustomholsters.com/
He has done tons of different models of guns. If you can think of it, he can make it.
Amazing craftsmanship. I am impressed with his work. Makes no difference that he is my older brother.

I am a fan of this holster with a pack on my back https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/
Haven't seen one in person but eberlestock came out with a bino harness with holster interrogated.

A2CPHP_top_view_1800x1800.jpg

That Kenai would be a great holster when driving too! Just need a button down dress shirt on for concealment. should be "crowd worthy" if one pulled into a "peaceful Protest" and they attack you. More chance of that than a bear attack for most folks! :)

The Kenai works perfectly under an FHF bino harness for me. Took me a long time to try it but I’ll never go back to carrying it on the pack belt.

The Kenai works perfectly under an FHF bino harness for me. Took me a long time to try it but I’ll never go back to carrying it on the pack belt.
When you have them both on, are you using two separate harnesses or is there a good way to integrate them both on to the same one?

When you have them both on, are you using two separate harnesses or is there a good way to integrate them both on to the same one?
I wear them separately. It’s very comfortable and when I’m in camp in the evenings I can take off my binos while still having my pistol with me.

I wear them separately. It’s very comfortable and when I’m in camp in the evenings I can take off my binos while still having my pistol with me.
That makes a ton of sense and I didn’t think of that. Always figured I’d feel tangled up all day with two separate harnesses on, especially while wearing a pack

That makes a ton of sense and I didn’t think of that. Always figured I’d feel tangled up all day with two separate harnesses on, especially while wearing a pack
I assumed I would as well, but it’s been very comfortable for me. Didn’t take any getting used to at all.

I use a Kenai with an AGC Bino harness no problem and in the past with a Kuiu Bino harness. Not sure how the AGC compares to the FHF.

anyone watch mountain men on tv. the lion hunter jake. carries a setup id like to find out more qbout, looks like a shoulder harness but the holster sits horizontal. above your hip

I also support the recommendation to strongly consider the Kenai chest holster. I use it under my AGC bino case and it carries well. Most importantly, it positions your handgun right where it needs to be if things go south. Worst case - a bear on you - it is front and center. I use it while hunting, hiking/training and second the opinion that it is a perfect concealed carry option with proper outer clothing. That said, there are many quality options out there to consider...this one simply checks most of the boxes for me. Hope this helps.

I want a holster that accessible in all positions and keeps it out of the way of other gear. I had this low ridding holster made by lance Nixon. 12A20F12-92CF-4BF1-B87D-CE5AB7DD3804.jpeg13D4BE27-8B50-4FEE-89AC-36AC9D09278F.jpeg

I also used a thigh carry rig one year while elk hunting in grizzly country. Mine worked well but it made just a bit of noise and my handgun was more exposed to bumping into the brush. The following year I switched to the Kenai chest holster and am fully satisfied. I still have my thigh rig because it may be a better "fit" in some future situation.

i carry a diamond d all leather chest holster most days,, the shoulder strap cuts into my neck no matter how i adjust it,,, why im lookin for somethin else

I have been using this rig for several outings this summer.

I have worn it with a chest pack for fishing and my bino pac with back pack and it is comfy and adjustable for draw cant. Compare it to the Kenai and I believe you will find it is a better chest holster for less money. I carry a XDM in 10mm, for reference.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back