Best GPS

Curious if anyone that bought the "t" model actually thinks it was worth the extra money? I've read in some reviews that the topo that is preinstalled on these isn't very accurate, and also is missing quite a bit of info, whether it be trails, or roads.

So if you don't get the model with the topo preinstalled, is it just blank, or is there a generic map of just roads, and basic landmarks on the unit? Thinking if you wanted to use this same unit for traveling too, not just outdoorsy type stuff.

Like I always say get a stinking I pad. Then for 2 bucks purchase a gps app they come with topo maps and bla bla bla. Google earth the area you are hunting in and save the cache for free satelite photos of the terain. Put a few movies on it and use it for all your regular stuff you do most of the time and the times you go hunting, use it as your GPS.

Thres a pretty good article in this months Huntin Fool that compares the current GPS units that are available.

Sweetnectar- How do you like the gps app on your I-pad? Is it the Cabelas app you are using? I've been curious how well that actually worked.

It isn't the cabelas ap that we tried...I didn't even know there was a cabelas ap??? I believe I posted the name of it or a link on an old thread on Hunt talk a while ago but I can't remember the name of it. I think the ap cost about nine buck and then later I checked on it and it was 2 bucks. I was impressed at how accurate the GPS worked, how it recorded everything, came with preloaded topo maps, and how you could flip the screen around and the map would still point north, and we could overlay google earths sat photos and this and that feature. Heck that was the only GPS app we tried out of who knows how many available. Also, if you get into cell range you have interent access if you need to check something you came across while in the field with out having to leave the field. And of course the map detail was extremely easy to see with the stellar I pad graphics and large screen. The only draw back that I can see is that I'm not sure how water proof an I pad is. But when it is close to the same price as an expensive GPS why not go for something with a thounsand more uses?
I'm starting to sound like some sort of sales guy for the things...wish apple would send me a free one to really test out in the wild. The one we used belongs to my little brother. If you get to try the cabelas ap I hope you post up the result.

Glad I got cold feet the day I went in to purchase the Oregon 450---Just didn't feel like I knew enough to make the purchase. I want a unit that has great mapping ability--I am looking into purchasing the chip from huntingmapsgps. I like the idea of having private property boundry lines right on my gps. Anyone have experience with their product? Would it work with the 62 model?

I have all the states for my Garmin 62st and it works slicker than deer guts on a door knob.

Finally decided to pull the trigger on a new gps. I've been watching the various threads on here along with comparing different models, and prices etc. and finally ended up going with an Oregon 450. It didn't hurt matters either that Cabela's is having a $50 mail in rebate on them through Sept. either. I was looking at the 550 model, but having a camera on it just isn't going to make me drop another $100 bucks, I prefer to use my own camera for some better shots. The touch screen is very nice. Not as sensative to the touch as my Droid, but way better then pushing manual buttons. Just the smallest amount of pressure is needed. I also ended up getting the plat map from huntinggpsmaps for Idaho. I got the download version so I could use it on the computer too. These maps rule! Along with the gps, this is going to be a very useful set of tools for me in the field, and cut back on a lot of wasted time dinking around at the computer putting maps together.

I've about pulled the trigger on a new gps a couple times this weekend. Found the 62ST for $432 including shipping one place and the 62S for $365 including shipping at another. Just can't get myself to pull the trigger yet. and can't decide if the extra $70 for the maps is worth it either. I have the Mapsource topo for the entire US on a CD that is about 10 or 12 years old, the roads might have changed since then, but the mountains probably haven't moved much.

I do need a new one, my old Etrex Legend can't seem to find a satelitte anymore if there is a tree within 10 yards of it. On my last trip to Montana my iPhone gps worked better.

I had no Mapsource maps at all, seeing the maps on the screen with all the properties, and ownership is eye opening for sure. Easier then looking at the fish and game site, and having a topo program open at the same time, then getting it to your gps or print copies. One stop shop now. I also had an older gps that needed up graded. More time scouting areas and less time processing. I was inside my house with my gps and got signal no problem.

Probably trying to close them out with the coming of that new Montana, which is pretty sweet...4" screen, and switches from landscape to portrait automagically, just like your phone...spendy there though. Maybe they will give Fin one to try out and he can give us the lowdown.

The GPSMAP 62S is down to $349.98 on amazon now and I pulled the trigger on it. Since I already have the full Mapsource topomaps that saves me a few bucks over the 62ST. (Cheapest I can find it is $432 also on amazon) Will be interesting to see how it does when I go to Montana in a couple weeks.

I had a delorme pn 40 for a while and it really just didnt fit my needs, too many bells and whistles. I now have a garmin gpsmap 60csx and love it. works great, battery life and sat. reception are never an issue, when used in conjuction with huntinggpsmaps.com i feel its pretty hard to beat for an accurate, afforable, and usable unit. im sure the 62st is an awesome unit too, but i dont see the need to upgrade anytime soon, for me 60csx is a definate winner.

The GPSMAP 62S is down to $349.98 on amazon now and I pulled the trigger on it. Since I already have the full Mapsource topomaps that saves me a few bucks over the 62ST. (Cheapest I can find it is $432 also on amazon) Will be interesting to see how it does when I go to Montana in a couple weeks.

I've got the 62S too, its the better value, unless you find yourself needing 1:100k maps. But since I buy 1:24's for the states I hunt anyways I'd rather save the money and put it towards more 24k maps. Only complaints are it squeeks and the wake up alarm could be louder otherwise its some of the best money I ever spent. I would recomend going to Best Buy or an electronics store and buying a pack of universal invisiblesheild to protect the screen from cuts and scratches though.

Yep, they've gone down 98 cents since I ordered this morning! ;)

From everything I've read there isn't a color selection on these, yellow = 62, orange = 62S and grey = 62ST.

It looks like the Garmin 62s would be best if I am going to purchase the huntingGPSMaps card?? Just want to make sure. The 62st aleady has the maps included--just not the land ownership portion. Is this he main difference? I am getting close to spending the cash, just need a little nudge :)

On Big Fin's recommendation I bought the Hunting GPS Maps last week. It's ridiculously awesome. I bought the software download because if you just buy the chip you can't view the maps on the computer and make updates. I didn't realize this till I did a little research and I'm glad I did. On my first go around with the map I found out that I almost ended up hunting a limited draw district in the backcountry this fall. Luckily there are other places in the area to do a bivy, but this software has already saved my butt big time and I'm not even out the door yet. On GPS units, I'm really happy with the 530HCX. The radio capability is great for any excursion, hiking, riding ATV's, etc. It's really easy to use, color screen and of course mates up with my new maps. My old man just bought a Delorme PN60 for the satellite image capability and he's less than impressed and wished he bought Garmin again. He had a 530, but lost it hunting with me in Montana...whoooops!! Anyway, I love the Garmin's, but mines not the latestand greatest so it's time for a replacement....just kidding...my wife may read this and have an aneurysm.

has anybody out there got to check out garmins" montana"?am thinkin i should go with the 62 st but would like satilite images also if its available?

Like I always say get a stinking I pad. Then for 2 bucks purchase a gps app they come with topo maps and bla bla bla. Google earth the area you are hunting in and save the cache for free satelite photos of the terain. Put a few movies on it and use it for all your regular stuff you do most of the time and the times you go hunting, use it as your GPS.

I was wondering of this also. I have gps on my iphone and it works good as long as I have service. Do you have to have service for the i-pad I still think im going to invest in a smaller model just for hunting. I have used to one for hound hunting and loved those. I have a car edition in my big truck and was wanting to get one for it also. If the i-pad seem to work good I may go that route. I still think as for hunting situation the smaller unit will be more beneficial. You do have me curious on the I-pad though.

Just bought the Oregon 450 at Sportsmans Warehouse. On sale for $299 with a $50 rebate. $250 for a new Oregon---could not pass that up. So far, it is far better than all my other units. Have not purchased a map program yet.

I have a Garmin Oregon 550t with the MTTRAX microsd card by KIRSCH's Outdoor Products. By far the best GPS I have ever used! Not cheap by any means, but well worth the $$$$$!

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back