Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

best for elk hunting

Thats kinda what i thought....I have already read into that JC doesn't have much useful knowledge to share....

Wow, in record time! You will fit in well here since you already found out what not to read in the forums

Wow, in record time! You will fit in well here since you already found out what not to read in the forums

You are right schmaltz, he will fit in with an ignorant assclown like you, given his other posting on the investment advice where he is pimping "penny stocks". It is about as bad advice as when you were pimping fixed income investments at all time low rates. You two should make quite the pair of investment advisers...

Cause there are ELK we are talking about.... Bambistew had by far the best advice....

Anything less borders on unethical.

You opened your mouth and just proved you are an idiot. Do you have a clue as to just how many big game animals have been taken by a 30-06 alone? Not too mention the .243, 30-30 and .270. Do yourself a favor and just keep quiet...nobody is really paying too much attention to what you have to say anyway. Newsflash...the only thing you are pimping ...is stupidity! ;)

Remauto, please stop feeding the Troll. His meaningless existence here at a hunting forum is really only fun for him.

You opened your mouth and just proved you are an idiot. Do you have a clue as to just how many big game animals have been taken by a 30-06 alone? Not too mention the .243, 30-30 and .270. Do yourself a favor and just keep quiet...nobody is really paying too much attention to what you have to say anyway. Newsflash...the only thing you are pimping ...is stupidity! ;)

Kinda sensitive, aren't you?

I don't know if this is your first time on a forum, but a thick skin will be required...carry on.

Not thin skinned at all....but when I "see" an idiot...I gotta warn everyone else.

And it is an idiotic statement (i realize you did not say it) to say that you need cannon round chambered rifles to take an elk When our grandfathers and greatgrandfathers have been doin it with .30 cal and smaller rifles for over a 100yrs now.

Out here in western Washington, we have roosevelt elk which usually are bigger bodied than their Rocky Mountain cousins. Lots of old timers have been killing elk for decades and still are with 30/30, 30-06, .243, 25-06 and I've always used a 30-06 or my 7mm RUM which I know is more than enough. Like everyone has said it's the shooter not the caliber, bigger bullets don't make up for poor shooting or no practice, people just think they do.

Very well said. I could easily take a elk with .223 out of my ar15 with a headshot but a body shot would not be shot i would take with that caliber. Sure it could be done...but i wouldnt take the chance of letting a animal of that size end up lost and going to waste. We all know that we as hunters owe it to all wild game to make it clean and quick. Happy hunting all!

My thoughts on calibers for elk.
I don’t have anywhere near the experience of some others on this board, but I’ve killed a few, and seen a few killed with calibers ranging from the .243 to .338 mags.
Elk are big animals, with the ability to run long distances in a short amount of time. The places they live are big, and there is usually several thousands other hunters out there that want to kill the same elk your trying to kill. I want them to go down fast, to SEE them go down for the count. An elk that takes off running at the shot, and goes over a hill or disappears into some trees has a good chance of being seen and shot at by another hunter. By the time you find him, he’s already been tagged and gutted by someone else. It happens all the time. For that reason, I like bigger guns, the biggest gun you can easily shoot accurately.
Minimum, in my opinion, are calibers like the .270, .308 and 30-06. Better are one of the 7mm or .300 mags. The .338 Win mag. is an excellent elk caliber, it really knocks the fight out of them, they drop fast when hit good.
Of course, shot placement is far more important than caliber. An elk shot through the lungs with a .243 will die faster then an elk gut shot with an elephant gun.

Shoot a bullet of at least .27 caliber (bigger is better)
Shoot a bullet weighing at least 140 grains (bigger is better)
Shoot a bullet designed to penetrate, no ballistic tips or hollow points
Hit the elk with at least 1,500 ft/lbs of energy. ( at the elk, not at the muzzle)

My thoughts on calibers for elk.
I don’t have anywhere near the experience of some others on this board, but I’ve killed a few, and seen a few killed with calibers ranging from the .243 to .338 mags.
Elk are big animals, with the ability to run long distances in a short amount of time. The places they live are big, and there is usually several thousands other hunters out there that want to kill the same elk your trying to kill. I want them to go down fast, to SEE them go down for the count. An elk that takes off running at the shot, and goes over a hill or disappears into some trees has a good chance of being seen and shot at by another hunter. By the time you find him, he’s already been tagged and gutted by someone else. It happens all the time. For that reason, I like bigger guns, the biggest gun you can easily shoot accurately.
Minimum, in my opinion, are calibers like the .270, .308 and 30-06. Better are one of the 7mm or .300 mags. The .338 Win mag. is an excellent elk caliber, it really knocks the fight out of them, they drop fast when hit good.
Of course, shot placement is far more important than caliber. An elk shot through the lungs with a .243 will die faster then an elk gut shot with an elephant gun.

Shoot a bullet of at least .27 caliber (bigger is better)
Shoot a bullet weighing at least 140 grains (bigger is better)
Shoot a bullet designed to penetrate, no ballistic tips or hollow points
Hit the elk with at least 1,500 ft/lbs of energy. ( at the elk, not at the muzzle)

Very good advice A-Con. It answers the question very well. Though some will chime in with their anecdotal exceptions to this common sense explanation.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back